The lot vs. the stadium

I was speaking with a band instructor friend last night. He tells me he took some of his drumline kids to DCI this year. As a learning experience they spent half the night in the lot and went into the stadium for the last 5 or so corps. He says the kids had a blast, but he was struck by how many people were in the lot, not in the stands. His feeling was that it was only a matter of time before someone finds a way to cash in on the audience in the lot.

I have no idea how you would actually collect entrance fee money from people over as wide an area as the warm up lot, but as an example, I could maybe see a corps setting up a small, specialized souvie booth next to their battery warm up area with "In The Lot" T-shirts and drumline specific merchandise. Any thoughts?

A lot of folk have already paid to get into the lot... with their car.

I think this part of DCI will always be "free".

How would you charge admission to enter an area that you do not own?

Exactly - but I was thinking more about the specialized souvies. If people just hang out in the lot they aren't going to get to the regular souvie booths. Not marketing out there could be a lost opportunity for revenue.

Exactly - but I was thinking more about the specialized souvies. If people just hang out in the lot they aren't going to get to the regular souvie booths. Not marketing out there could be a lost opportunity for revenue.

Seriously, dude...that's a brilliant idea.

Now...how might it be exploited? Should there be an actual booth, (perhaps supplied by DCI), that each corps utilizes to sell t-shirts and whatever else? Should each corps souvie crew come out with a couple suitcases of shirts? Does there need to be a separate booth for drum warm-ups, horn warm-ups and guard warm-ups? (It's been forever since I've been able to be at any warm-up sessions. Are they spread over a wide area with certain audiences who only go to one or another section warm-up?)

Of all the people who watch parking lot warm-ups, what percentage are at the drums, at the horns, and at the guard?

Would this benefit only the corps on earlier, or are there still people out there for the final corps?

I'm in favor of anything that makes money for the corps.

• Like 1

I think what disappoints me most is that these people aren't seeing the first set of corps on the field performing :sad:

I agree, but I am as guilty as the next guy. In 2004 I got pneumonia on tour and by the night before quarter finals I was in the emergency room in a Denver hospital and half-way to the exit. Thanks to some great care from the doctor and nurses and some very effective drugs, I still got out to the lot for semi's because there was no way I was missing SCV's battery in the lot. Double beat alone was worth it! :worthy:

I think what disappoints me most is that these people aren't seeing the first set of corps on the field performing :sad:

I feel your pain.

But I've got to wonder something.: Is there a certain amount of fans who go to shows, but don't even go in the stadium to see the corps? If so, is it a financial thing with them? And if that's the case, would those people even have money to spend of parking lot souvie sales?

I feel your pain.

But I've got to wonder something.: Is there a certain amount of fans who go to shows, but don't even go in the stadium to see the corps? If so, is it a financial thing with them? And if that's the case, would those people even have money to spend of parking lot souvie sales?

I don't think it's a financial thing, at least not with everyone. A lot of folks out there have tickets in their pocket.

As a drummer, the lot gives me a chance to be up close and personal with the part of the activity that I love the most. You see and hear things in the lot that you just don't see in the show. Exercise books are an art unto themselves now, and besides being instructive and awe inspiring, they can be as entertaining as the field show.

My wife and I are planning on going to Allentown, Michgan City and Indy next year. I can guarantee you that one of the nights in Indy I will be out in the lot the whole night.

• Like 1

My thought is that having a souvenir booth near warm-up areas would be a good idea. What I enjoy about warm-ups is not only seeing the kids practice, but talking with people who accompany the corps (volunteers, chaperons, etc. The instructors are busy enough.). While I do not miss the actual shows, I do feel that I get to know a corps when they enter the field after I watch warm-ups. I'd probably be more inclined to buy something after an up close and personal experience with the corps. I do not think charging a fee to watch would be a good idea, especially as one poster mentioned, often the warm-ups do not take place at the stadium and are usually in public spaces. This could also be a factor in whether souvenirs could be sold at warm-ups. Different locals, even different neighborhoods within a city, can have all kinds of regulations.

I also think it's a great opportunity for kids who want to march to see what is involved. Some corps are good at using such opportunities for corps PR and potential recruits. I've heard a lot of band directors in my area say corps can be very accomodating to school groups. I know that one thing I am looking forward to next summer is introducing a younger crowd from my area to drum corps. A school I am associated with is going to expand our music program next year and it will include a band (elementary level). East Coast Classic is about five minutes away and the school will be buying a block of tickets. I'm hoping they'll not only see the show, but BAC up close.

• Like 1