You Make The Call

At some point, someone thought, "Malagueña? Nah; that's not 'Madison.' Give me "Battle Hymn' and 'Findlandia.' Now that's vintage Madison."

Hmm... I was thinking Cadets for this idea, but maybe Madison could pull it off...

You know those old drum corps classics; Hall of the Mountain King, etc. Modern drum corps avoid those like the plague because they, well, because they are old fashioned. (Troopers excepted) But modern arrangements of these tunes would bring the house down. Especially those that Madison played back in the day. Wikipedia only lists shows going back to 72, but I'm sure there's lots of great old stuff that all the vintage corps fans/members will remember, and that a good arranger can make seem like it was written yesterday.

I got a related idea while reviewing that list of Madison's shows. I noticed The Way We Were and They're Playing Our Song. Both these tunes are reminiscences (in terms of the titles and lyrics). Creating a show based on musical reminiscences would be effective. Some of those tunes are quite uptempo as well. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen, for example. Anyway, it was an idea I thought I'd share.

Hmm... I was thinking Cadets for this idea, but maybe Madison could pull it off...

You know those old drum corps classics; Hall of the Mountain King, etc. Modern drum corps avoid those like the plague because they, well, because they are old fashioned. (Troopers excepted) But modern arrangements of these tunes would bring the house down. Especially those that Madison played back in the day. Wikipedia only lists shows going back to 72, but I'm sure there's lots of great old stuff that all the vintage corps fans/members will remember, and that a good arranger can make seem like it was written yesterday.

I got a related idea while reviewing that list of Madison's shows. I noticed The Way We Were and They're Playing Our Song. Both these tunes are reminiscences (in terms of the titles and lyrics). Creating a show based on musical reminiscences would be effective. Some of those tunes are quite uptempo as well. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen, for example. Anyway, it was an idea I thought I'd share.

Hall of the Mountain King and You'll Never Walk Alone, I believe for 2013.

Night on Bald Mountain, but I'd be happy with HotMK too. :)

My idea for the 75th anniversary would be for every living man to have ever marched with the Madison Scouts to donate $75.00 to the Scouts in 2013. If only 40 members from each year donated that would = 40 x 75 yrs x $75.00 = $225,000.00. I'm sure Chris and Dann wouldn't object to that.

Ha ha! Me to.

Cavaliers just played "Hall of the Mountain King" this year.

Or make everyone happy and play a lot of it while simultaneously playing none...the perfect compromise. Just put all the suggestions in a pot and divide by the square root of zero.

How did vintage Madison charts get to be vintage Madison charts? At one point, they were put on the field by the corps for the first time.

At some point, someone thought, "Malagueña? Nah; that's not 'Madison.' Give me "Battle Hymn' and 'Findlandia.' Now that's vintage Madison."

Could not agree more!!

I think thats what people dont have any patience for. So many people want to hear "Same old" instead of creating new stuff of legend. I personally think DCI and DCA should impose a 5 point penalty for any corps even mentioning the word "Malaguena" at a design meeting. lol.

Im kidding! I have stood up at the end of that tune myself on several ocassions, but I think its time to create the new "Malaguena".

I think the Magic makers at Madison can find a way to take something existing and make it madison style or create something new altogether. HEck, the Cavaliers (who I love but who are not exactly known for "groovin") took James Bond and made some kick ### Latin-y, salsa-ish, flavor happen! That was HOT! And I Seriously doubt that when back then, after the cavaliers announced "The cavaliers will be presenting music frrom James Bond" that everyone thought "hmmm.. Cavaliers, plus James bond music... Thats going to groove HARD". lol.

I would love to see Madison do something like that. Take a piece we all think we know, and flip it! Zig when we think they are going to Zag. Hell... take the most square uncool piece of music they can find, and turn it into the new Madison legend that old people in 2035 will be saying "Dude... MAdison needs to go back to that 2013 sTyle.. That was REAL drum corps".

• Like 1

I would love to see Madison do something like that. Take a piece we all think we know, and flip it! Zig when we think they are going to Zag. Hell... take the most square uncool piece of music they can find, and turn it into the new Madison legend that old people in 2035 will be saying "Dude... MAdison needs to go back to that 2013 sTyle.. That was REAL drum corps".

Dude; you've just proposed that Madison play a Justin Bieber show.

• Like 3