Measurement of Crowd Enthusiasm in General Effect

How is a wooden ship supposed to help anything?

What did Crown do, exactly?

And where is this abundance of avant guard shows? I think Suncoast Sound 1988, Star 1993 and Blue Devils 2012 are the only shows I can think of that went far against the grain.

I was saying the exact opposite. There ARE very few avant guard shows and that's the issue! I did not say tgey were abundent. Also BD 2010 and a much lesser extent BD 2009/ 2008 (not avant guard but against the grain)

Edited by charlie1223

A corps home show would screw everything up. The number of babies thrown for a corps home show would out number the babies thrown for the other corps. So there you have it. Throwing babies is not an exact science relating to GE or the scores as a whole.

• Like 2

How is a wooden ship supposed to help anything?

What did Crown do, exactly?

And where is this abundance of avant guard shows? I think Suncoast Sound 1988, Star 1993 and Blue Devils 2012 are the only shows I can think of that went far against the grain.

When the Bridgemen first hit the DCI field, they were WAY more " Avant Garde " than these Corps you just mentioned. From the moment the Bridgemen arrived at a stadium and got off the bus, the typical reaction from fans seeing them for the first time was... " holy mackeral, we've never seen a group quite like THIS before". While most Corps at the time were were giving off a suburban, polished, vibe, the Bridgemen were clearly providing the most URBAN vibe in EVERYTHING about them that prior to that had not been seen before in DCI. Not to that extent anyway at the time. It was not just the urban vibe of the show the Bridgemen gave off with its " shuffle " marching and different visual moments, but it was even right down to their uniforms that were totally unlike the other Corps at the time. The Bridgemen took the Drum Corps activity from a staid, suburban mode, to a loud and in your face and confident URBAN motif, so lacking in DCI Drum Corps at the time. I mean think about it: the Bridgemen went out to some rural shows in the midwest and got off their busses in what looked to some there to be " pimp " outfits and hats. And they were. Thats where Bobby Hoffman, DCI icon Hall of Famer, and show designer, got the idea... outside a theatre in NYC one night he exited where he saw the pimps all hanging out and dressed up to the nines on the sidewalks there. The Bridgemen had as much diversity in their ranks in their World Class Division Corps than just about any other DCI competing Corps. They were the real, melting pot, urban DCI Drum Corps. They were NOT immediately embraced by the DCI establishment and the fans in the early going and away from the East Coast.... at all. Far from it. The early open ( and private ) hostility to them was far worse, imo than anything encountered by these Corps that did a year or two of " Avant Garde " shows on the field. The Bridgemen were as " unique " and as " Avant Garde " in the early going as one could imagine. And it was not because of one's on the field show performance either. They broke the mold. And what was refreshing about them was that despite the stares, the whispers, the shaking of the heads in negativity when 1st encountered, the Bridgemen went out onto the field and in 90% of the cases they won the fans over in the audience with their show performance. So here was a Corps that many fans did not like at all when they marched onto the field in uniform in preparation for performance, and in approx. 16 minutes later they'd turn that negative into wild approval with many in the audience. I only mention this because when we begin to list a Corps that is " Avant Garde " ( which coincidentally comes from a military phrase, ie " advance guard " of skilled soldiers that go out front to scout, recon, etc and then bring others along at the appropriate time ) we should probably remember not to omit the Bridgemen Drum Corps. Their " show " was not only " Avant Garde " at the time, their CORPS ITSElf was " Avant Garde " at the time. The creators of this years Jersey Surf production can only provide a small glimpse into what the Bridgemen unique approach brought to a rather staid DCI in the early years of the formation of DCI, and less than a decade removed from the VFW and AL dictates that would have had the show organizers have a coronary with the Bridgemen style of Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What Crown did this year did more to push the activity than what BD did and I'm not even a Crown honk.

Yes. Crown got me up on my feet and made me believe in drum corps as a truly moving art form.

BD only made me wonder why they were covering up that incredible marching and musicianship with scatter drill and narration.

• Like 2