DCI '88

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of my all time favorite shows were 1988 Madison, 1988 Blue Devils and 1988 SCV. What a great year. Not to mention Suncoast, Cadets, Cavaliers and Sky Ryders and more!!!

The results for me do not diminish the fact that this was one of the activities truly great years. Who cares who won, enjoy the music and wonderful performances of all the corps.

I disagree, and I also disagree regarding view of the BD visual show and their coloring of the show. First off, BD brass alone provided more color than any corps that night. As far as actual GE ? The use of color by the guard, the staging of the colors used, the impact of colors, use din tandem with the musical highlights were unmatched and blew the Scouts away. Again its a case of BD being so perfect, so smooth, it "apeared" to be easy, but as far as drill design goes, none that night was better at taking the music and offering it to the audience with visual accompaniment.

No drill offered better staging, better transitions, and greater impact that night the the Blue Devils.

Too bad they never get the credit they deserve for this show, its one of the best of all time.

~G~

The consensus among the judging community as the season got to the last few shows is that BD was winning on the strength of their musical performance alone and that the visual show was lacking. That area is where they ended up losing ground. No one argues that their hornline was not superb but as we know the DCI Champion has to be excellent in all categories.

Sorry Im not buying the "they were so good it looked easy" scenario. It looked easy because it was easy. (relative to the other corps)

Edited by dans24103

Im not here to start a riot but I do feel that 1988 was not one of the most stellar hornlines Madison has produced. Sure Malaguenia rocked, but overall, coming from the Scouts rich tradition of having some of the best hornlines in the country year after year 1988 was not one of them. Their visual program was incredible.

And technically a DCI champion doesn't have to excel at all captions. BD in 1980 had a less-than-stellar drum performance, same with Garfield in 1984. Horn heads can probably point to some champs (SCV 78 maybe?) whose hornlines were not so hot. It's awesome when a corps sweeps all captions, but it's not the rule.

And technically a DCI champion doesn't have to excel at all captions. BD in 1980 had a less-than-stellar drum performance, same with Garfield in 1984. Horn heads can probably point to some champs (SCV 78 maybe?) whose hornlines were not so hot. It's awesome when a corps sweeps all captions, but it's not the rule.

How true, and even though it wasn't DCI, check out VFW '71 High Caption Winners

25.45 Troopers M&M

18.80 Blue Rock Percussion

19.00 Argonne Rebels Brass

9.70 27th Lancers G.E.

1st Place?.....SCV

And still on topic, I have to say that I just wasn't as impressed with Madisons first half (that's just me though) but, their second half ROCKED!! Anyway, congratulations are still in order for their win. I think that '88 was one of the best showdowns of all time and for some reason, we haven't had that much excitement since. We all mostly know how it's going to play out after Quarters and Semis are finished.

I disagree. A true champion needs to be solid across the board. Maybe not first in every caption, but very close. I have lost Nats due to a single caption placing out of the top 3. For example, 1988 SCV - 5th in Brass, second at the show. It is very rare that a corps will be so dominant that they can have one "off" caption.

Sorry Im not buying the "they were so good it looked easy" scenario. It looked easy because it was easy. (relative to the other corps)

Agreed. They didn't have the kinds of tempo or step size demands of other corps, and overall, I thought the visual presentation came off as slow and stale. (Sorry, the grey pants didn't work no matter what the "experts" say...they went back to black for a reason in '89!)

Great show, and I love it. But not on my list of favorite shows to WATCH. Madison, on the other hand, I couldn't take my eyes off their feet that night. Wonderful!

But whatever. SCV should have won. :P

I disagree. A true champion needs to be solid across the board. Maybe not first in every caption, but very close. I have lost Nats due to a single caption placing out of the top 3. For example, 1988 SCV - 5th in Brass, second at the show. It is very rare that a corps will be so dominant that they can have one "off" caption.

I gave you two (actually three) examples where it was exactly the case that the champion had an "off" caption on the night. So even though it didn't happen for you, it has happened. We're obviously not talking about a corps who was first in three captions then eleventh in another, it's all relative. Garfield's drumline was not great in 84, relative to their visual or horn program, but it's not like they finished seventeenth in prelims.

What I still to this day just can't get over is that BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies AND Phantom were NOT Madison's competition during the regular season of 88. VK, Spirit and Star were the ones fighting with Madison and even Suncoast came close to nipping at them a few times. BD, SCV, Cavies, and Cadets were 6 plus points ahead of Madison continually. In fact, if you check out corpsreps, the last two weeks of the season would have indicated the possibility of both VK and Spirit being set up to sneak ahead of them at championships to put Madison at 8th or 9th. From there, it was nothing short of a shock to everyone to find out they made the top 5. Then, to find out they WON???? They literally went from being at about 7th place (ready to possibly even lose it to VK or Spirit to go down to 8th or 9th) the week before championships to instead find themselves with a win having not even been in the ball park with any of the top 5 all year long. My only question is at that point, is it really possible for a corps to get that much better in the matter of only about 3-4 days? Something most definitely does not quite add up with that one.

Edited by torn8o