DCI '88

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks!

Man, I don't even remember going on so late at prelims! And I am quite sure that I NEVER knew that we went on right after BD. ####.

Just goes to show you that, sometimes you are so unaware of what everybody else is doing when you march. You main concern is and always should be on what you are doing to improve your performance.

I knew I had that one right because, in 89 the running joke was that if they (DCI) di that again that "the black man" couldn't pull the number. Ellis Carter (a black guy) was the DM in 88 along with Darren Bassard (a white guy). Ellis pulled 12, so I was not going to be allowed to pull anything.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking 88, Tony was slightly too old to be marching, yet he march AGAIN in 89, along with Freddy who was born somewhere where they didn't keep very acturate birth records. So on paper he was very legal.

Freddy was the one who (from what I heard) played some pro gigs, but to me that didn't tell his age.

Tony called it quits after that season, but Freddy dicided to give it one more try in 90, and would have been ok except for the fact that he told a guard member who he was interested in his real age. She told the director and he was sent home mid tour. If he had just kept his mouth shut it would have been all good.

The ironic this was that the staff member that gave the corp the news about Freddy, was a member of the 77 Bridgemen, and was WELL aware of what could happen.

My take on it is, it's an uninforceable rule. Who's to say that I couldn't get a birth cirtiicate froma cousin or anyone, go to a corps and say that it's me. the rules don't say that you have to have a pitcure ID. As long as you stick with your story no body will ever know.

Edited by Ex VK DM

• 2 weeks later...
My Husband and I took a drum corps vacation that year from California.  We got to see several different shows with SCV and BD in them.  Not too many Madison shows if I recall correctly.

My take on '88 is this.  BD was totally awesome every show we saw them in.  However, on finals night they seemed flat to me compared to all the other times I had seen them.  It's hard to explain.  Maybe they had peaked emotionally earlier and just went through the motions finals night. It was almost like they were "too perfect" if that can be a downfall..  Anyway, "Something" was missing to me.  Wish I could put my finger on it.

Madisons show to me was in two parts.  The first part was wow!  The second part was WOW!!!  I knew that they had a chance to win because of the second half of their show.  It was enough so that no one remembered the first half.  So to me, compared to SCVs "total package" of a show, Madison made everyone stand up and notice them with their totally awesome second half. Especially the judges.

I absolutely Love '88 Phantom of the Opera.  I like it better than '89 story telling wise.  It was so emotional!  Everything seemed to go well with it. From the First opening tune (and I would like to nominate THAT opener as one of the best ) To the beginning of the ending with Christene and her Red Cape blowing gently in the wind then the horns melding into "Music of the Night".  The disapearance of the Phantom was perfect and then the Corps "melting"away into the field.  Whew...too much.

So yeah, emotionally I think that SCV took it because I think that it was a "total package".  I'm not a judge  though and they thought that Madison won.  Thems the breaks.

I am happy for Madison that they did take one though because I have always loved that corps and our ties go waaayy back.

That pretty much sums up my feelings about Open Class that year. BD was polished, powerful, and perfect, but they chose to stand pat - why wouldn't they? I would have hated to be a judge that year. Don P. was quoted as saying there were "6,7,or 8 corps under the right conditions that could win..." which was why they decided to go with the "Randomized" approach.

A-60 was a strange situation. You have to hand it to the Mandarins. We were beating them by 12 points on DCM sheets the week before DCI, only to lose to them by more than 10 points at prelims. EK was awesome, too! I still remember them playing "The Mission", otherwise known as the NBC news theme, and it was exact! I'd've given it to them.

A, there may have been some controversy about a Ventures penalty, but I loved L'Insolite. They were always one of my favorite corps after that.

Arrowhead had terrible acoustics, not to mention it was hotter than a snake's ### on pavement!

Edited by jascd

My Husband and I took a drum corps vacation that year from California.  We got to see several different shows with SCV and BD in them.  Not too many Madison shows if I recall correctly.

My take on '88 is this.  BD was totally awesome every show we saw them in.  However, on finals night they seemed flat to me compared to all the other times I had seen them.  It's hard to explain.  Maybe they had peaked emotionally earlier and just went through the motions finals night. It was almost like they were "too perfect" if that can be a downfall..  Anyway, "Something" was missing to me.  Wish I could put my finger on it.

Madisons show to me was in two parts.  The first part was wow!  The second part was WOW!!!  I knew that they had a chance to win because of the second half of their show.  It was enough so that no one remembered the first half.  So to me, compared to SCVs "total package" of a show, Madison made everyone stand up and notice them with their totally awesome second half. Especially the judges.

I absolutely Love '88 Phantom of the Opera.  I like it better than '89 story telling wise.  It was so emotional!  Everything seemed to go well with it. From the First opening tune (and I would like to nominate THAT opener as one of the best ) To the beginning of the ending with Christene and her Red Cape blowing gently in the wind then the horns melding into "Music of the Night".  The disapearance of the Phantom was perfect and then the Corps "melting"away into the field.  Whew...too much.

So yeah, emotionally I think that SCV took it because I think that it was a "total package".  I'm not a judge  though and they thought that Madison won.  Thems the breaks.

I am happy for Madison that they did take one though because I have always loved that corps and our ties go waaayy back.

That pretty much sums up my feelings about Open Class that year. BD was polished, powerful, and perfect, but they chose to stand pat - why wouldn't they? I would have hated to be a judge that year. Don P. was quoted as saying there were "6,7,or 8 corps under the right conditions that could win..." which was why they decided to go with the "Randomized" approach.

A-60 was a strange situation. You have to hand it to the Mandarins. We were beating them by 12 points on DCM sheets the week before DCI, only to lose to them by more than 10 points at prelims. EK was awesome, too! I still remember them playing "The Mission", otherwise known as the NBC news theme, and it was exact! I'd've given it to them.

A, there may have been some controversy about a Ventures penalty, but I loved L'Insolite. They were always one of my favorite corps after that.

Arrowhead had terrible acoustics, not to mention it was hotter than a snake's ### on pavement!

Thanks for the compliment!

That whole season was weird for the simple fact that BD, EK, and the Ventures all went into DCI with only one loss the entire season and ALL of them failed to win DCI in their respective classes.

Since I was in EK at the time, you will never know how much it hurt to lose finals to a corps you beat by 13 points 2 days before DCI. Truth be told, what happened that year was the real reason the Emerald Knights never reached that competitive level again.

Since I was in EK at the time, you will never know how much it hurt to lose finals to a corps you beat by 13 points 2 days before DCI. Truth be told, what happened that year was the real reason the Emerald Knights never reached that competitive level again.

Know this, brother - I FEEL YOU. Our director used to say "There is no such thing as a Drum Corps Fairy..." I'd really have to disagree. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Mandarins, but their score jump was nothing short of an honest-to-God miracle.

Although we got close to making finals again in 91 (ironically, we had a corps we were beating all year suddenly jump 14+ points in one show to beat us out of finals at DCI) You never would see Coachmen at DCI finals ever again, in any incarnation.

Unforntulately I sill have yet to hear the 88 Madison Show. :(

I remember being happy to hear that they won.

Besides BD won Brass didn't they?

I Think the percussion in 89 sounded cleaner for SCV.

BD should have Won percussion in 87 I don't care what anyone say's.

Unforntulately I sill have yet to hear the 88 Madison Show. :(

I remember being happy to hear that they won.

Besides BD won Brass didn't they?

I Think the percussion in 89 sounded cleaner for SCV.

BD should have Won percussion in 87 I don't care what anyone say's.

Yes BD won Brass, and boy, did they deserve that - NO contest.

From '88 to '89, SCV got new drums and were more featured. '88 had no percussion feature to speak of, but the parts you could make out weren't bad at all, especially that mezzo-piano roll in the opener as they marched single file. Remember also that caption winners were determined that year by combining P&A and GE. If it was just P&A (Which was the combination of Field and Ensemble into one judge), Garfield had it hands-down with a 14.9/15. As Hulka said "Good grief, yes - they were INSANELY clean". If you get the audio recordings for that year, listen close and you'll agree on that - the TV show couldn't pick it up, partially due to the the Premier Marathons and the lousy acoustics at Arrowhead. They didn't win percussion because the GE score was much lower by comparison (14.0/15).

'87, that's going to be debated forever!

Yeah Rich,

I remember that year the nice bond we had with the Scouts, like when we did you'll never walk alone with them in that fieldhouse in Seiverville, TN because the weather was so bad. Folks got a real treat that night.

And that is one my greatest drum corps memories... I only wish we'd had camcorders or something to record it... Goosebumps two inches high, I swear... b**bs