"Louder Than Words"

So i decided to share the recently stumbled upon documentary about radical street marching bands, and the Honk Festival which takes place every year near boston. Being involved with both drum corps and groups like these i always thought it would be interesting to slightly merge the two ideas. Maybe adding a little drill to some of the marching bands (which i've already tried to do) .. Or getting say a group of crusaders to join the jam sessions at honk, or starting a small group of their own to commit spontaneous acts of musical performance. When i moved to chicago 3 years ago i got involved with a couple street marching bands, i was surprised to find that there was little to no crossover between these bands, drum corps, or even high school/college marching bands.. But most of the members we're actually self taught musicians.

Thoughts?

Edited by rancidrolla
  • Like 2

Thoughts?

I agree with the drum teacher who commented in the video "It's bands making noise."

Yuch.

• Like 2

Ever seen the March Forth Marching Band? Pretty cool/different stuff.

Check them out - My link

So i decided to share the recently stumbled upon documentary about radical street marching bands, and the Honk Festival which takes place every year near boston. Being involved with both drum corps and groups like these i always thought it would be interesting to slightly merge the two ideas. Maybe adding a little drill to some of the marching bands (which i've already tried to do) .. Or getting say a group of crusaders to join the jam sessions at honk, or starting a small group of their own to commit spontaneous acts of musical performance. When i moved to chicago 3 years ago i got involved with a couple street marching bands, i was surprised to find that there was little to no crossover between these bands, drum corps, or even high school/college marching bands.. But most of the members we're actually self taught musicians.

Thoughts?

It seems like kind of a New Orleans concept and I enjoy seeing street bands and live entertainment as such and I think there needs to be more of that (and live music as a whole) in our communities in some form or fashion. I mean, with all of the band programs and people in bands, I would think more people would be trying to have more bands and do something with what they learned in them and/or with their talent instead of leaving them at school. And I’d say why not make use of more instruments that are traditionally found in drum corps and marching bands? And it seems like that’s part of what they've done in this video.