At What Point ...

Stu

Please take this seriously. Another thread caused me to think of a question. At what point would a marching show design go too far: Swastika/Hitler, Confederate Flag/Nooses,... or is it 'all' ok in the name of artistic expression within the marching activity?

• Like 1

I tend to be one to believe that we don't have a thick enough skin in this day and age. Some topics are considered in poor taste simply because they are uncomfortable to think about. The fact is, the holocaust happened. The russian revolution happened. Slavery and the oppression of minorities happened and is still happening. We, as a society, tend to take anything that makes any kind of reference to such things as offensive simply because the subject matter makes us uncomfortable. The fact is, open dialog about these subjects is the only way to understand them and prevent them. I've seen comments talking about a show "celebrating such a terrible event" and so on from people who have NEVER even seen the show. There is a subtle difference between celebrating a historical tragedy and honoring the memory of the people it involved. We've seen those kind of provocative shows before, and there is usually outcry about it. One indoor show comes to mind in particular. It almost made me sick to my stomach the first time I saw it, but its also one of the most thoughtful and meaningful shows I've ever seen.

That being said, I don't think such topics should be taken lightly when designing a band or indoor show. They are heavy topics to cover, and while I applaud an educator willing to approach those topics with his or her students, there is a way to go about it, and one should be mindful of the design choices that one makes in those situations. Just as there have been shows that handled those kinds of topics in a thoughtful and pensive manner, there have also been shows that simply used the subject matter for effect. I don't think the line is so black and white as to say "this subject should be off limits, but another shouldn't be", but instead we should approach each show with an open mind and try to decipher its intent and meaning first before making a judgement. Unfortunately, that step is often skipped for the dramatic reactionary response instead.

• Like 1

Please take this seriously. Another thread caused me to think of a question. At what point would a marching show design go too far: Swastika/Hitler, Confederate Flag/Nooses,... or is it 'all' ok in the name of artistic expression within the marching activity?

Drum Corps are given more lattitude with artistic license than Public School marching bands... and for obvious reasons. It would be tawdry and quite out of line and insensitive to take money from citizens in a community and then turn around produce a show that is quite offensive to many in the community on whose financial benevolence that Marching Band continues to exist. A Drum Corps, by contrast, has fewer community ties, and does not exist primarily from the gov't's confiscation of money out of the paychecks of the local citizenry. That said, any Drum Corps Show Designer that intentionally offends many of the audience goers is certainly going to be an epic fail in the end for such a show with audiences.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

There is no such point if the activity is allowed to express what is important to society. In my opinion, I don't think that drum corps have even begun to go too far. Creativity and communication should be free to find expression in any genre.

IMO, I feel that many drum corps play the game and inhibit their true possibilities and abilities.

Edited by blairSCV
  • Like 2

Drum Corps are given more lattitude with artistic license than Public School marching bands... and for obvious reasons. It would be tawdry and quite out of line and insensitive to take money from citizens in a community and then turn around produce a show that is quite offensive to many in the community on whose financial benevolence that Marching Band continues to exist. A Drum Corps, by contrast, has fewer community ties, and does not exist primarily from the gov't's confiscation of money out of the paychecks of the local citizenry. That said, any Drum Corps Show Designer that intentionally offends many of the audience goers is certainly going to be an epic fail in the end for such a show with audiences.

I see your point, but its based on some pretty faulty facts. The vast majority of band programs that I know of are not in any way funded by the taxpayers aside from maybe measly budget for instrument repair, and the use of facilities. Most programs get nearly all of their funding through a booster program and its fundraising efforts. Any one of the patrons that they solicit for fund raising contributions could at any time choose not to continue their contributions. The tax payers themselves don't really have any right to say what should or shouldn't be programed.

There is no such point if the activity is allowed to express what is important to society. In my opinion, I don't think that drum corps have even begun to go too far. Creativity and communication should be free to find expression in any genre.

IMO, I feel that many drum corps play the game and inhibit their true possibilities and abilities.

Freedom of expression by Show Designers is given wide lattitude in DCI and DCA Drum Corps. This is a good thing. Audiences react with a wide range of reactions to this variety in the shows too... also a good thing, imo. Noone feels intimidated, nor constrained. However, Drum Corps has lost lots of national exposure via the loss of national TV the last few years. As such, show designers obviously have to be cognicent of not producing shows that lose even MORE fans than the activity has over the last couple of decades. There is nothing particularly enobling nor enriching about producing shows in the Performing Arts that fewer and fewer people want or desire. People can handle new innovations and new things if done in an appealing way. The Cirque du Soleil but one example of something new, fresh, and non threatening that captivated a new audience in the millions with its new and creative brand of showmanship.

Edited by BRASSO

Forget about scores and placements for a minute. In Drum Corps your reputation is everything, and I doubt very much that directors and instructors would risk that by designing a show that the public at large would deem unacceptable. I know that I wouldn't.

I see your point, but its based on some pretty faulty facts. The vast majority of band programs that I know of are not in any way funded by the taxpayers aside from maybe measly budget for instrument repair, and the use of facilities. Most programs get nearly all of their funding through a booster program and its fundraising efforts. Any one of the patrons that they solicit for fund raising contributions could at any time choose not to continue their contributions. The tax payers themselves don't really have any right to say what should or shouldn't be programed.

I will ask the good Chairman to allow me to modify and extend my remarks.

( I should have differentiated between the marching band financing, and music programs financing.. so your point is acknowledged. )

That said, people in a community have every right to express their opinions on ANYTHING.. including what the local community marching band is producing in show programming, both good or bad. The notion that a Performing Arts group can perform before public audiences and NOT receive feedback on the shows programming is a curious one for me. If a Performing Arts groups don't want input from people on the shows programming, then they can avoid this altogether by performing their show for just themselves, family, and friends. The very nature of the Performing Arts is to expose oneself to all that the audience provides... and let the audience provide feedback on the performance. Someone who plays a piano all by themselves in a room is a pianist. It is an audience of one. Someone who plays a piano in a Performing Arts group is a Performance Pianist. I'm sure the goal of each is not lost on any reader here regarding the audience for each and how the priority is much different between the two.

Edited by BRASSO

I will ask the good Chairman to allow me to modify and extend my remarks.

( I should have differentiated between the marching band financing, and music programs financing.. so your point is acknowledged. )

That said, people in a community have every right to express their opinions on ANYTHING.. including what the local community marching band is producing in show programming, both good or bad. The notion that a Performing Arts group can perform before public audiences and NOT receive feedback on the shows programming is a curious one for me. If a Performing Arts groups don't want input from people on the shows programming, then they can avoid this altogether by performing their show for just themselves, family, and friends. The very nature of the Performing Arts is to expose oneself to all that the audience provides... and let the audience provide feedback on the performance. Someone who plays a piano all by themselves in a room is a pianist. It is an audience of one. Someone who plays a piano in a Performing Arts group is a Performance Pianist. I'm sure the goal of each is not lost on any reader here regarding the audience for each and how the priority is much different between the two.

I agree that input should be expected, and even welcomed, but where I draw the line is when those comments turn into an attempt to tell those performers what they should, shouldn't, can or can't do. I get very weary of the "my taxes pay for x y and z, and so I get the right to tell you what you should do" mentality. That's my gripe, particularly in a situation where tax payers pay almost zero percent of the funding for the program. Audiences are entitled to opinions, and even input if its done respectfully (just as any person should be respectful to any other person for any other reason.

I tend to be one to believe that we don't have a thick enough skin in this day and age. Some topics are considered in poor taste simply because they are uncomfortable to think about. The fact is, the holocaust happened. The russian revolution happened. Slavery and the oppression of minorities happened and is still happening. We, as a society, tend to take anything that makes any kind of reference to such things as offensive simply because the subject matter makes us uncomfortable. The fact is, open dialog about these subjects is the only way to understand them and prevent them...

I agree with all of the above statement as it applies to open discourse; suppression of discussing the tragic events of history should not happen in a free society. However, the question within this thread is this: Is a marching band / drum corps show really the best venue to delve so deeply into that discourse?