Juliet or Turandot?

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Phantom show was better in your opinion?

• 2011 -- Juliet
    • 2012 -- Turandot

Juliet.

Turandot better complete package? Hornline sounded better.

But Juliet just did it for me. Elsa's was epic by finals. I felt more impact from the whole show.

But I respect Turandot. Nessun Dorma was a let down though. Too much arranging was done at the impactful moments.

I think if you take into account that Phantom placed third this past year, with both Crown and Blue Devils stronger than last year, and if you look at the corps that placed below third, namely SCV, Bluecoats, and BAC, all were stronger than last year's top 7, so I think it's safe to say that 2012's 3rd plce finish was due to a show that was stronger than last year's show, not just in placement but also in substance.

While choosing whether "Juliet" was stronger than "Turandot" as a show or whether one show was better than the other may be a matter of opinion, but I would say from a creativity point, "Juliet" was more original. The music was carefully selected to tell the story and some of the moments were nothing short of astounding. Many loved "Elsa's Procession" but the "East of Eden" opener as well as "A Time for Us" were also powerful moments. "Turandot" had a built in story since it used music from the opera and the theme of the show was that of opera's most infamous ice queen and her three riddles. I will say that musically, as good as the show was, "Non Piangere Liu" and "In Questa Reggia" two of the opera's showpieces were not used, which could have had some great musical fireworks. However, Phantom did use people's familiarity with the story as an opportunity to do some visually amazing things.

So, when it comes to watching the shows, I enjoyed 2012 better, but when I'm in my car and driving, I love putting in the CD of "Juliet."

Juliet.

Turandot better complete package? Hornline sounded better.

But Juliet just did it for me. Elsa's was epic by finals. I felt more impact from the whole show.

But I respect Turandot. Nessun Dorma was a let down though. Too much arranging was done at the impactful moments.

In Semifinals, I lost control when the corps got to the big push in "Elsa's..." I remember standing up and throwing my arms in the air. I didn't realize what I had done until I had done it, then realized I needed to sit down and resume blogging. It was simply a spontaneous reaction to a magnificent moment and I'll never forget how it made me feel.

• Like 5

I'll go with Turandot because it's the only one of the two I've seen live. After my first ever DCI performance, I got back to the stands just in time for the start of Nessun Dorma. That was the first live drum corps I saw being a DCI fan (I'd seen one tourney a couple years ago, but I wasn't into DCI then).

I thought this was going to be a Ginger or Mary Ann thread.

Ok, I'll bite... Turandot is presumably the more beautiful, since many men apparently fall for her on sight, while only Romeo fell for Juliet (that we know of). We are led to believe that there is a special connection between Romeo and Juliet, while Turandot radiates her attraction to all. Still, for Turandot it would likely be a more formal, supermodel look (Ginger) look compared to Juliet's more Mary Ann appeal. Turandot would also wear a lot more makeup, which I would find unimpressive.

As to overall desirability, Juliet gets the edge because she seems to be quite pleasant and fairly down-to-earth, while by contrast Turandot is more of a psychopathic serial killing machine. Who specifically kills her suitors on a regular basis.

My pick: Juliet.

And then there's Jennifer vs. Bailey, but that's a different story. As is Wilma vs. Betty, but let's not go there.

Nessun Dorma was a let down though. Too much arranging was done at the impactful moments.

I have to agree; their earlier Nessun Dorma seemed to flow better, where this version followed a marching beat way too much for a piece with that much passion (and audience recognition), especially at the finale. Still, a beautiful performance overall.

Also, the decapitation at the start was yet another good example of why not to do too many video closeups. The sword is visibly going in front of the helmet. But I fault the video shot selection there, unless people noticed this from the stands?

I have to agree; their earlier Nessun Dorma seemed to flow better, where this version followed a marching beat way too much for a piece with that much passion (and audience recognition), especially at the finale. Still, a beautiful performance overall.

Considering it morphed from the Nessun Dorma that begins Act III to the reprise that is the finale of the opera, I think it fit the original orchestration exactly.