The Cavaliers vs. Phantom Regiment

My son was in PR the last two years. He said last year had less yelling and half as much push-ups, etc. as the previous year (some members keep stats.). He attributed it to staff changes and a higher general starting skill level among last year's members. When you are asked to make a change and you actually do it, there is no reason to yell, etc. It is more efficient and the members were often commended for it. But he loved both years and will age out with them this year.

They work hard every year, but I haven't seen that level of effort since '08, which is saying something.

Regiment on the other hand, is a very old-school kind of corps with their rehearsal technique, where it's usually silent rehearsals, and it's not rare for them to get yelled at or sent running or told to do push-ups as punishment. Or just given really quick "gush-and-go" water breaks. I'm a fan of the hard-core style of rehearsal, since we all come to drum corps to work hard, not go on vacation.

Because marching Cavaliers is definitely a vacation.

That was a general statement of drum corps vs. regular summer activities not corps vs. corps.

So you're telling me I didn't go on vacation when I marched Cadets???

• Like 2

That was a general statement of drum corps vs. regular summer activities not corps vs. corps.

Oh, okay. The rest of what you were saying was comparing the two corps, so that sounded like it too.

All good.

I wouldn't recommend doing that at Regiment. However, don't think that the staff is a bunch of crazy people yelling all the time either (though they are a rather intense and passionate bunch). Appropriate things at appropriate times. You will be called out if you mess up on something that was just fixed though.

I agree... I'm just saying there are some instructors in this activity (not saying they are at PR) that think there is no way to communicate, other than yelling at someone.

In my opinion, those instructors are not as effective, and they do get tuned out by some people.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

I don't care what corps you teach for. If you need to yell to get your point across, you're a ###### teacher. Period.

• Like 2

agree with most of what you said...

I'm just saying that b/c you get a 5 minute water break, adequate sleep, or don't get yelled at, doesn't mean that the members aren't busting their ##### for X hours a day and are magically never sore.

It's also worth noting that different people respond differently to the same action. So yelling might get one kid to step up his/her game to prove the staff wrong, the kid next to him might roll his eyes and think that the staff could've just asked calmly for more volume in measure X, and they are wasting time and energy by yelling.

I never said they're not working as hard. I'm saying that they have a more laid-back approach to their rehearsals. Yes, every kid rehearses different, but some corps have different rehearsal strategies, and that's something prospective members need to look into before deciding where to march

• Like 1