The Neuroscience of Stage Fright

There is only one thing that I've ever been terrified of doing, and that was asking someone out on a date, which is why I've only done it three times in my life...the first time when I was 36. I shudder to think what beta blockers might have done for that...I might have stood in the middle of a parlor of a woman's dorm and asked everyone out who walked past me.

Sweaty palm syndrome. Nothing to worry about. I hear tell you like museums and art galleries. Me too! It's a date ;)

Sweaty palm syndrome. Nothing to worry about. I hear tell you like museums and art galleries. Me too! It's a date ;)

Yeah; but you live in Canada. That's like an entire country away! (By the way, three years ago, I went to Toronto for a wedding and did Frank Gehry's new addition for the Ontario Art Gallery. Remarkable architecture!)

:offtopic:

PS: We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Yeah; but you live in Canada. That's like an entire country away! (By the way, three years ago, I went to Toronto for a wedding and did Frank Gehry's new addition for the Ontario Art Gallery. Remarkable architecture!)

PS: We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

I'm approx. 2,000 miles west of Toronto ... last time I was at OAG AGO; I went to the Pablo Picasso exhibit ... was awesome! I taught a course today and didn't have stage fright thanks to this thread. The more I speak, the better I get, thanks to practise. I've been teaching computer courses for 10 years and today, of all days, the internet goes down during the final exercise! Thanks to improv theatre :smile:

We return you to your regularly scheduled topic lol;)

Edited by lindap

One of those articles mentioned some studies on the effectiveness of beta blockers for stage fright, and generally the actual effect was weak. So it may be mostly placebo effect. But if it works, it works. Also, it didn't say whether the subjects were people who suffered from unusually high levels of stage fright, or just randomly selected people who have at least a little stage fright. It might make a difference.

All I know for me was that during competitons and shows I would be so hyperfocused that I didn't have anything but the performance in my head and then bam! the show was over!