The Neuroscience of Stage Fright

http://io9.com/5950544/the-neuroscience-of-stage-fright-++-and-how-to-cope-with-it

The fear that is elicited by stage fright ignites the body's fight-or-flight response, which is what brings about its various physiological manifestations. Essentially, it's the perceived sense of danger that sets off the parasympathetic nervous system, which mobilizes the body's nervous system in preparation for something that arguably never comes.

Here's the part that got me...

Another option is medication. Beta blockers are renowned for their ability to counter the effects of the fight-or-flight response. The exact mechanism of action is largely unknown, but beta blockers like propranolol have been used by performers for decades (some surgeons even use it to reduce hand tremors during surgery).

In fact, surveys have shown that upwards of 27% of symphony orchestra musicians use beta blockers to help alleviate the symptoms of stage fright. They're also used in sports, though they have banned by the IOC and are considered a performance enhancing drug.

I'm guessing, percentage-wise, that this affects DCI performers as well. Do you know of any, or are you one? How do you deal with it?

Mike

http://io9.com/5950544/the-neuroscience-of-stage-fright-++-and-how-to-cope-with-it

Here's the part that got me...

I'm guessing, percentage-wise, that this affects DCI performers as well. Do you know of any, or are you one? How do you deal with it?

Mike

I've known guys: percussionists with PHENOMENAL hands that would freak out for all the big Regionals. And not just their rookie season, but continually. I think one guy used meds to counter the problem, but I've known someone who was a Top 5 snare line, had problems playing at the big shows/Championships week, and was asked not to return to the corps the following year (of which he was OK not returning due to his 'stage fright').

I also know a VERY well-respected local educator, who is now retired, who was a performance major in college. He had incredible chops (brass player), but had such severe stage fright that he had to change majors to music ed from performance. His career turned out fine (actually, it turned out pretty great: he's one of the most respected Instrumental Music Director's in the area). And he found ways to cope with his issues as a conductor.

Actually, in drum corps I think it's much less of a problem. Just going by my experience, of course.

Not many "normal" ensembles practice the same concert/show for months, all day.

I do have a bit of stage fright, especially playing solo or in smaller groups, but it was never a problem in drum corps, even with exposed solos in front of Lucas Oil.

Actually, in drum corps I think it's much less of a problem. Just going by my experience, of course.

Not many "normal" ensembles practice the same concert/show for months, all day.

I do have a bit of stage fright, especially playing solo or in smaller groups, but it was never a problem in drum corps, even with exposed solos in front of Lucas Oil.

I think it is less of a factor in performance areas where the individual affected is surrounded by other performers, diffusing the sense of all eyes on "me". Just a guess.

• Like 1

I think it is less of a factor in performance areas where the individual affected is surrounded by other performers, diffusing the sense of all eyes on "me". Just a guess.

But according to the article, 27% of symphony orchestra musicians are on beta blockers to deal with it, and they're just as much a part of an ensemble.

I wonder if it might have more to do with the visual "look at me" aspect of drum corps? Let's face it, if you're going to be part of a corps, you already know folks are going to be staring at you. For sure more than if you played in a symphony.

Mike

I've been a vocalist. both as a soloist, fronting a band, and in the theater, longer than I've played an instrument and have no problem performing no matter how large or small the group was (well, there were all those juries in college). I've never had any stage fright problems. Nerves or nervousness? Sure. But never enough to have to take anything. I've always told myself that if I ever lose that nervousness, it's time to hang it up.

However, for me, public speaking his a whole different monster. :cool:

But according to the article, 27% of symphony orchestra musicians are on beta blockers to deal with it, and they're just as much a part of an ensemble.

I wonder if it might have more to do with the visual "look at me" aspect of drum corps? Let's face it, if you're going to be part of a corps, you already know folks are going to be staring at you. For sure more than if you played in a symphony.

Mike

Thats probably true, I'm just thinking for myself, I'm way more inclined to experience stage fright if I'm in front of a group of people by myself vs. with others.

I personally only have problems in auditions. I am AWFUL at auditioning. Put me in an actual performance and I'm killer. I almost didn't march drum corps because when it came time for my one on one audition playing I had huge issues.

But this has only been a problem with playing an instrument. While singing, I don't have a problem auditioning at all. It's weird. Only when I'm playing my trombone or euph in an audition do I freak out.

But I'm chill when it comes to actually performing. Especially in an ensemble. Big crowds don't bother me.

• Like 1