I suggest to take a look at Madison 91. They played City of Angels. Awesome performance at the Cotton Bowl.

Definitely a great book, but I think their 1992 reprise of it took it to new heights. The absolute adrenaline of the drum solo and horn re-entry to the end knocks my socks off.

But 1991 Cadets blew me away. I think it's one of the most underrated shows in their post-1983 history.

(edited to add the "post 1983" part)

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 2

But 1991 Cadets blew me away. I think it's one of the most underrated shows in their post-1983 history.

I agree! Prelude, Fugue and Riffs is what I was humming when we decided to put the DVD in. Love that show.

Great, great year. There wasn't a corps in the top 12 I didn't like.

(FWIW, if you've not spent much time with Madison and City of Angels in '91 and '92, the '92 version of Funny is directly patterned after Malaguena, even down to the mello runs in the first verse and the drum shots in the big blast at the end.)

Quick hits -

-Star's spinning stars - gimmick, sure, but a great one.

-Cavaliers' "Bridegroom," after the drum feature - my favorite ballad of the year.

-Phantom's... entire show, actually.

-Vanguard's amazing drumline and the helicopters. And the decel and accel from the drums in the final tag - awesome.

-Blue Devils brass and a show that was waaay ahead of it's time. Can still sing the entire opener.

-Cadets marching 15 tenors in Short Ride in a Fast Machine makes me do the happy dance.

-Madison's aforementioned Funny, and the tenors on the front sideline almost all falling over (ah, live TV).

-Crossmen stepping up their game and that drumline exploding on the scene (and the red/white drums!).

-Blue Knights were warm, symphonic and sophisticated in a way that really only Cadets had been to that point.

Freelancers - incredible closer (Bells) that year - really ended the show with a bang.

-I can still sing Nutville from start to finish - one of the catchiest songs the Bluecoats ever played.

-Sky Ryders - I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight for me was the high point of the show - was a great "drum corps" type rendition. (Tried to audition for them, but my parents wouldn't let me - that was the closest I got to marching in DCI. :( After all these years, still have the audition piece memorized.)

May have to go watch the DVD myself now. How I wish they could go back and make them all widescreen...

Mike

• Like 2

Great, great year. There wasn't a corps in the top 12 I didn't like.

(FWIW, if you've not spent much time with Madison and City of Angels in '91 and '92, the '92 version of Funny is directly patterned after Malaguena, even down to the mello runs in the first verse and the drum shots in the big blast at the end.)

Quick hits -

-Star's spinning stars - gimmick, sure, but a great one.

-Cavaliers' "Bridegroom," after the drum feature - my favorite ballad of the year.

-Phantom's... entire show, actually.

-Vanguard's amazing drumline and the helicopters. And the decel and accel from the drums in the final tag - awesome.

-Blue Devils brass and a show that was waaay ahead of it's time. Can still sing the entire opener.

-Cadets marching 15 tenors in Short Ride in a Fast Machine makes me do the happy dance.

-Madison's aforementioned Funny, and the tenors on the front sideline almost all falling over (ah, live TV).

Pretty darn good hornline who marched their butts off.

-Crossmen stepping up their game and that drumline exploding on the scene (and the red/white drums!).

-Blue Knights were warm, symphonic and sophisticated in a way that really only Cadets had been to that point.

Never saw the show in person but dug their uniforms then.. very pretty guard as I recall.

Freelancers - incredible closer (Bells) that year - really ended the show with a bang.

Bluecoats- -I can still sing Nutville from start to finish - one of the catchiest songs the Bluecoats ever played.

-Sky Ryders - I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight for me was the high point of the show - was a great "drum corps" type rendition. (Tried to audition for them, but my parents wouldn't let me - that was the closest I got to marching in DCI. :( After all these years, still have the audition piece memorized.)

May have to go watch the DVD myself now. How I wish they could go back and make them all widescreen...

Mike

Star: Wonderful corps full of great folks! an amazing show ( though I think I'd give a slight nod to 1990 as a personal favorite ). Those mellos were sure fun to listen to and hearing about how the show's ending came about is a great story.

Cavies: Again I think I'd give the nod to 1990 but a good show in its own right. At the first show of the season I have a distinct memory of watching the hornline run a section right before the drum feature. The staff member said "take it from when Christmas goes bad" -- don't know why but that still tickles me a bit.

PR: That ending was pretty darn cool and how could you not like Pagliacci?

SCV: SCV!!! 'nuf said there! :-) MYNWA Mr. Royer...

BD: I think the judges placed us above those guys for the first time since '88 finals that year-somewhere in PA or OH??- (and the last since if I'm correct). Besides '93 BD might be the best/most talented hornline I've heard in person EVER (didn't see Crown this year).

Cadets: ..Sung to Prelude Fuge and Riffs-- "we don't wanna win, we don't wanna win, we don't wanna win..DCI this year!". Buddy of mine in Crossmen that year said the opener sounded like the intro to a local TV news broadcast.

Scouts: Pretty darn good hornline. We also marched our butts off. Very underated drumline and guard.

Crossmen: With all due respect Mike I believe the drumline really exploded the year before though I suspect there are those who would say it happened even in the years leading up to 1990. I'm not a drummer but pure bad### grooving going on during that time.

BK: Never saw the show in person but dug their uniforms then.. very pretty guard as I recall.

Freelancers: Watched their DCI Canada prelim show and was blown away...another of my personal favoriate memories from that year. I miss those guys dearly.

Bluecoats: hung out a lot with these guys...great group of folks and a show that to me seems really undervalued. That hornline could blow man! A really cool drum feature too.

Sky: never saw this show in person so my recollection is minimal. It was cool to see them make finals as I felt folks rooted against them in other years.

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 1

With all due respect Mike I believe the drumline really exploded the year before though I suspect there are those who would say it happened even in the years leading up to 1990. I'm not a drummer but pure bad### grooving going on during that time.

Oh, for sure that '90 show was killer. (Caravan = :inlove: , Now Or Never = :biggrin: ) But I think the switch to Metheny in '91 really gave the whole thing a more sophisticated feel, and that drum solo = holy smokes. (Got the snare score taped to the wall in front of me right now, too.)

Mike

Oh, for sure that '90 show was killer. (Caravan = :inlove: , Now Or Never = :biggrin: ) But I think the switch to Metheny in '91 really gave the whole thing a more sophisticated feel, and that drum solo = holy smokes. (Got the snare score taped to the wall in front of me right now, too.)

Mike

and before I forget -since we are talking about these guys- I've gotta give my annual request to hear them play "The Waltz" ala '88 & '89....come to think of it..just give "the powers that be" the finger and dust off some combo of the entire 88 & 89 shows!

Edited by scout9193

Like everyone is saying, great summer for music.

Madison - forgot about the almost-falling tenors. Great show.

Cadets and Blue Devils - both had "odd" years as far as placements were concerned that summer, but both had fantastic shows.

SCV - I still liked the ending with the crosses covering the field (unless that's only in my head... and I'm not too proud to admit that's a possibility)

Blue Knights - Was that the summer the corps performed at an NFL game halftime (It was a night game - Sunday Night? Monday Night?) a week or two after Finals? Or was it '92?

Great Year!!!

SCV ending just goosebump city. At 3:22

Star, In the opener, that whole sequence with the rotating form into the company front WOW!!!! At 0:25 secs

• Like 1

1991 probably has BD's most underrated show. That brass book was killer as well as intriguing. It's also interesting to note that the top 3 was entirely composed of corps that had never won DCI before this point.

Blue Devils 1991 Download of the Week