College and Corps?

Hey guys. I just have a question based on your prior experiences...

What is it like with drum corps during your high school to college transition?

I'm currently a senior in high school and about to start my 3rd year in drum corps this summer (yeah I know, started early). I just have some thoughts of maybe not marching a year to work all summer and make my drives back and forth to college a little less hectic...

Everytime that creeps into my mind I realize why I do drum corps, it's to feel thankful for all the royalties at home, to feel blessed to have the ability to study, have a car, have a close family, you know what I mean... I need to march.... But is it too much?

How was it for you guys?

FCO

It was no big deal for me. I started after my senior year of high school, so I missed orientation and all sorts of things, but those are pretty much for people that have no clue. I marched until my ageout, too, so it was all during college.

I do regret not being able to do summer school, but you can always do that after you age out (I have).

i only marched 2 years, but I missed study abroad and internship opportunities... I remedied this by going backpacking in Europe for a month after I graduated and then went to grad school (and did 4 internships in grad school). One year in college, I left after class on friday to drive 6 hours to camps. The other year, I left after class on friday to fly across the country.

There's always an opportunity cost.

I'm currently a senior in high school and about to start my 3rd year in drum corps this summer (yeah I know, started early). I just have some thoughts of maybe not marching a year to work all summer and make my drives back and forth to college a little less hectic...

Everytime that creeps into my mind I realize why I do drum corps, it's to feel thankful for all the royalties at home, to feel blessed to have the ability to study, have a car, have a close family, you know what I mean... I need to march.... But is it too much?

How was it for you guys?

FCO

Ask my son, Kris. He was in Blue Stars during that summer. He's done eight straight years and felt he really didn't miss anything critical during that "transition summer". BUT, I am sure he would have kicked himself if he had not marched the Houdini show.

How was it for you guys?

FCO

The biggest challenge is losing the opportunity to work during the summer if you need the time to earn extra cash to help your budget. Other than that, I think you'll find college scheduling to be a little more in line with the drum corps season - especially the scheduling around May move-ins.

• Like 1

The only thing I missed was orientation and early registration, but I was able to snag a computer during a free day and register for all of my classes. I started marching in between my junior and senior year of high school, when I was 16. Coming back to high school marching band after that was harder than coming back from drum corp to college. Plus, coming back skinny and tan coming into a new school really helped getting attention from the girls at the school and band. :thumbup:

My son took the season off before his college freshman year. It was his choice. He saw that there were several class placement exams he wanted to take during the summer season. I think he should have filled a hole somewhere for the second half of the season but he chose not to.

I'm going to be the old fuddy-duddy in this conversation.

We over-prepare for everything these days. No one needs a summer or long weekend or even an extra day to start college. You don't need tedious tours. You don't need to sit in a lecture hall to learn how to sit in a lecture hall. You don't even have to register for all the "essential" classes your first semester.

Some of the best classes I took were ones I never planned to take. I took them on a lark or because they were the only ones that fit in my schedule that year. I didn't know a soul on campus. I didn't know my way around town. I didn't know a lot more things than I did know. And it all worked out soon enough. In fact, it was great.

Stay home if you want to earn money - that's a good reason. Stay home if you need to crack the books - another good reason. Don't stay home just so you can waste a few days having a pretend college experience. You have four years to get the real thing.

HH

• Like 3