Glassmen Announce 2013 Visual Designer

The GLASSMEN are pleased to announce the appointment of Nick Scotella as the Visual Designer for 2013!

Nick Scotella has been appointed as the Visual Designer for the 2013 Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps and joins the Glassmen Design Team of Rob Ferguson, Key Poulan, Hobie Pileski and Sal Salas.

Director of Programs and Staff Development Sal Salas said, "Nick is an outstanding designer and I have admired his creativity and expertise in the art of staging/design/drill. The outstanding job he accomplished with the DCI Champions Phantom Regiment in 2008 still remains as one of the most talked about programs today." "I am excited to see what Nick brings visually to the Glassmen in 2013 - it will be a great entertaining program for members and fans alike!"

Nick Scotella has been involved with the marching band and Drum and Bugle Corps activity for over 15 years, when his performance career started at the Phantom Regiment as a member from 1997-2001. Nick served on the 2005 and 2007 Phantom Regiment visual staff before becoming the visual designer for the 2008 and 2009 Phantom Regiment, whose production "Spartacus" won the 2008 DCI World Championships.

In addition to his drum corps experience, Nick is an accomplished visual designer for marching bands and indoor performance ensembles across the United States. He served as visual designer for the 2008 PAS National Champion University of North Texas indoor drumline and 2011 European Tour Show, and is currently the Visual Designer and Marching Instructor at Leander HS (TX) and Westlake HS (TX). He is an active judge with the Texas Color Guard Circuit, North Texas Color Guard Association, Rocky Mountain Color Guard Association.

"I am extremely excited to join the Glassmen organization for the 2013 season as the Visual Designer. I am honored to have the opportunity to work with some of the best members, designers, and staff in the activity," said Scotella. "The Glassmen have a long history in the drum corps activity and I looking forward to the coming year!"

• Like 1

Lots of talk about 2008, but I didn't see anything about hiring Tony Hall, as well...

Considering only 25% of what Scotella wrote ever ended up on the field...they spent all of move-ins rewriting his drill.

And let's not even bother bringing up 2009.

• Like 3

I would say give the guy a chance. It's been 4 years, people evolve as instructors and learn alot more from their mistakes than their successes. He might just surprise everyone this summer - who knows!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

I would say give the guy a chance. It's been 4 years, people evolve as instructors and learn alot more from their mistakes than their successes. He might just surprise everyone this summer - who knows!

Later,

Mike

Let's hope he learned quite a bit....

His two years at Phantom weren't to hot at all.

• Like 1

Nick is a great person and I am sure he will do a great job for the Glassmen and also another corps that has not announced yet.

You know, we are always waiting for the "next big thing" in this activity, but on this level for 99.5% of the designers it takes time to hone their craft. Tony Hall (among others) has helped a lot of designers over the years and not just the younger ones. :satisfied:

Have a great planning season Nick! Kick some ###!

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 4

What's he being paid? Is it the same as 2012, is it more/less? This could be an area they could save some money. Less experienced designer, less money. Make them earn it.

Or maybe the guy from the other Glassmen thread can tell me that the designers need to make a living. Which, of course they do, but writing for a drum corps shouldn't buy you a penthouse IMHO.

• Like 1