Pacific Crest in AZ and PA

The tenors sound horrible and the snares almost as bad. The bass drums sound excellent though. Plus that pit equipment is cheap and flimsy.

No, they do not. In fact, you should hear Mechanicsburg's line. They sound absolutely fantastic, from both a technique/book standpoint and a quality of sound standpoint.

• Like 1

Pacific crest at Stanford and Boston also at the same show this last summer played and both lines had horrible tenor sounds. Boston had the better tuning of snares but PC didn't sound too good on snare either. What they played was great but the tone of those drums sound like skid marks. I hate mepex drums.

• Like 1

No, they do not. In fact, you should hear Mechanicsburg's line. They sound absolutely fantastic, from both a technique/book standpoint and a quality of sound standpoint.

yeah they sounded great this fall. 2nd at WGI last year in A wasn't shabby either

• Like 1

The tenors sound horrible and the snares almost as bad. The bass drums sound excellent though. Plus that pit equipment is cheap and flimsy.

I'll give you the basses (and the snares ph34r.gif), but I like the tenor sound... Best economical selection as well. However, they are heavy as hell, and some of the supporting equipment (i.e. stands, harnesses, etc.) leave a lot to be desired. But again, for a corps in a financial pinch, Mapex would be my choice.

The tenors sound horrible.

Nope. Maybe you heard some bad tuning, but any drums are capable of many different tuning schemes. The drums themselves aren't the issue. I've heard all brands sound great with some groups, and horrible with another.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I just got wind of a thread on DCP about the Pacific Crest Experience day in Mechanicsburg, PA.

I'm going to post a new thread in the World Class section. I hope you guys are willing to send some kids out this way. It's a great way to get the hands geared up for audition season and indoor season.

Thanks!

Brian Stockard

http://www.pacific-crest.org/2012/10/experience-day/

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that these drums sound horrible.

I think you just don't like the tuning preference of those individuals at PC. And for example look at Blue Devils and Phantom when they used Dynasty drums. I personally hated the sound that BD had with their Dynastys, but didn't mind the sound of Phantoms. Now Rennick worked with the folks at Dynasty and their snares really sound good now.

Personally I think Mapex have some good drums that compete with the others. It's just a matter of tuning in the long run. Can give more examples if needed, but it shouldn't be needed.