Will The G7 Split From DCI?

Finally, egos and politics have to go. It's just kid's marching band.

Good luck with that ever happening.

• Like 2

Seriously. #### the G7. It's a real shame. Because quite a few of those corps I actually really like what they do on the field.

I also really like what BAC, Scouts, Spirit, Bones, Colts, Academy, BK, BS, etc all do on the field.

Their bull #### argument why they deserve more money is bogus. In 2011 at the Jackson show I saw more Madison and Crossmen gear than Crown, who was the only G7 corps there.

Top Crowd reactions this past year? Surf, Scouts, Bones, Crown, Cadets, Phantom (not listed in any order, except Surf probably winning out)

Jersey Surf, a BOTTOM TIER corps. THe stands filled up for them didn't they??

It's just a try at a power grab. These guys need to get the sticks out of their you know whats. ANd you know what, they are gonna need help with that. Someone within DCI needs to do something about it.

And Hopkins has no room to talk about business.

I know bottom tier corps who are in a better financial position than YEA!

It's just an illogical attempt at grabbing power and money. Like there is all this money to go around in the first place. Dumb #####.

I haven't been to one TOC show, and you won't see me at any G7 shows either. I know little old me won't make a difference... but I'm not into ego stroking...

• Like 5

It's been awhile. To bring us up to date:

What is happening now is not actually an urgent crisis

What a relief. The sky is not falling, then.

Releasing management does not mean that they did a poor job (Dan has worked some miracles here), but fresh perspectives and new approaches are required now. DCI needs a turn around.

No, wait. The sky is falling!

Emphasis should be placed on skills training and sharing of best practices and network on the business and management side of the activity. Lift all boats.

Oh, is that all? Whew! The sky is not falling.

The status quo is not sustainable nor is equal distribution. Cost to maintain higher levels of performance and tours are too high. You cannot divide priority between supporting a high level of performance and increased access/greater number of corps and also expect sustainability. This has been DCI for the past decades... so, clearly not sustainable.

The sky is falling!

• Like 1

Nearly every drum corps fan I ever met was a fan of the activity first and foremost. As in any sport, they get excited about the highest performers, but if those high performers never existed the fans would be just as excited about whoever is at the top. Tennis, football, motor racing, figure skating; it's all the same. If the top performers weren't there, the new top performers would be getting all the buzz.

:worthy:

I owe you a tall version of whatever your beverage of choice may be. I spent months on here trying to say what you have so succintly summarized here.

• Like 1

Your logic makes more sense now that I know that you are coming at this from a marching band point of view. You are correct, if marching bands and drum corps are similar you don't need both.

The old canard of "change or die" does not always hold true. Look at the the most popular sports. How much have baseball, football, basketball fundamentally changed over the years? Very little. The core rules still apply and the basic tenants of the game have not changed. Each has excelled by extracting excellence from within their core framework, not by changing the framework.

Drum corps should embrace the difference between itself and marching band by sticking to that which makes it unique. The core tenants of drum corps should be brass, drums and traditional guard equipment. Those are paints which should cover the canvass, nothing more.

-kg

This is such a good point. The distinction is critical for success. They're already paying for MB through their tax dollars. DC must be promoted as better, high performance, in short: professional. The real world. Under that huge DCI Champs logo thing at finals should be the words "This Is Not A Marching Band." Then promo video clips everywhere. That would help highlight the distinction and prevent people from pigeonholing it right off the bat, the way they do!

In 2013 the fans will get to vote with their pocketbooks if they will support the G7 or not. The G7 has 100% of the expenses for the Music in Motion shows and they get to keep 100% of the revenues. None of the Music in Motion show dates interest me so I will not be buying any tickets. Why spend $50 to $75 for a ticket when you can watch the same corps on the Fan Network.

Some people will say that you are hurting the members by not supporting the G7 corps but those same members joined a G7 corps fully aware of what is going on.

• Like 1

In 2013 the fans will get to vote with their pocketbooks if they will support the G7 or not. The G7 has 100% of the expenses for the Music in Motion shows and they get to keep 100% of the revenues. None of the Music in Motion show dates interest me so I will not be buying any tickets. Why spend $50 to $75 for a ticket when you can watch the same corps on the Fan Network.

Some people will say that you are hurting the members by not supporting the G7 corps but those same members joined a G7 corps fully aware of what is going on.

Ah, now this is tricky. I agree that avoiding TOC shows is a great way of expressing displeasure. But as for the members themselves, probably only the returning members know about the TOC stuff, and I wonder how much of this stuff really passes around the membership within the TOC. They are not likely to be DCP-aware, so to speak. And most of the new members will have no idea.

Based in what happened with Star, I think it's crucial that any protest movement avoid action during performances (other than not going to them and maybe walking out when the G7 units come on). Booing, insulting signage, that sort of thing is completely out of order in my view.

Ah, now this is tricky. I agree that avoiding TOC shows is a great way of expressing displeasure. But as for the members themselves, probably only the returning members know about the TOC stuff, and I wonder how much of this stuff really passes around the membership within the TOC. They are not likely to be DCP-aware, so to speak. And most of the new members will have no idea.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the 16-21 age bracket knows how to use google.

Fans can absolutely vote with their feet. Of course they could have voted with their feet during the previous TOC seasons and those shows certainly weren't boycotted. When it gets down to it, the G7 is absolutely right about one thing: they're the corps that *all* the fans want to see.

IMO completely inaccurate. Most members don't have a clue about the politics behind DCI. They're just out there performing with their corps and doing drum corps like marchers at every corps. Suggesting that the performers in the G7 corps are somehow complicit in any of this silliness is just plain wrong.

• Like 2