Death of Corps

T man

Name me a single competitive activity that isn't shaped by those most successful in that activity.

LOL hit the +1 instead of reply.....

Just wanted to say that the activity may be shaped by the most successful corps but if #4 thru whatever are being ignored then there is a real problem.

And olde phartish being a PR phan..... :tongue: Maybe an olde Phillies Phan... nah!

• Like 1

If "fast" didn't matter, I don't think Chopin's Rags would ever be any fun to listen to...

If "loud" was not an important dynamic, I have a feeling Tchaikovsky would have second thoughts about 90% of all his endings, but especially Francesca Da Rimini (22:49)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDhk4orHrSk

If "dissonance" didn't exist in music, not only would you feel bored with nothing but consonance, but you'd never get amazing pieces like Bernard Herrmann's well known Score to Psycho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPu4zWLWzs

Hate to be 'That guy' but that rag is actually Scott Joplin.

In 1978, Phantom performed excerpts from Stravinsky ballets and I recall a Drum Corps News review of DCI East where the writer thought that the end of drum corps was near. I've been reading DCP posts (though only commenting for about the past year) where the end of drum corps has been predicted. It didn't happen in 1978 and it hasn't happened yet.

For most of us, there are peak and valley years, and more often than not personal taste is the deciding factor. We also have our own glory years. For me, some of the years mentioned by the original poster as great are not what I would consider the banner years. I'm less likely to see them as innovative or forward moving. Yet others sing the praises of these years, all a matter of taste. I can also say there has never been a year where I have not seen at least one show I've loved, and even if I haven't loved a show, seeing high school and college age students performing at such a high level is impressive on its own.

However, what I do disagree with the OP is the critique of current years, particularly 2011 and 2012. I believe in the last two seasons we have seen shows that are challenging, audience friendly, and innovative. The last time I believe we saw similar quality shows by nearly every corps (based on the standards of that time) would have been the years between 1987-89. I'm an old schooler at heart, I wish there were more corps of all abilities, corps with more distinct personalities, etc., but I appreciate what we have today, because in a few years, today will be old school.

Tried to figure when the OP started following corps and couldn't make a good guess. Yeah, followed corps (mostly Sr/All Age) from 74-92 and 02-now and agree with first two paragraphs. LOL yesterday was reading NanciDs corps history blog and saw a ca 1962 complaint that corps were sounding too much like bands. Reason was corps were starting to use that new fangled Contrabass.

So what do we want?

We moan about DCI and how the top 3 corps define and nothing else is looked at with regard.

We complain and moan when the "top corps" try going at it on their own.

What the heck do we want?

Hey people, you want your favorite corps to be influential, then have them design and perform shows that make people turn their heads.

I was forced to challenge myself musically and visually with BD in 2012, yet Boston, a top 12 corps made me wish I was 14 again and watching Star.

Must be DCI and the G7's fault. I mean, yeah, it's their fault that the Glassmen can't put together a program that stimulates a larger audience and the judges visually and musically, even though they have people like Key Poulan and Sal Salas involved.

Stop whining and complaining and do something about it. You have options. Join a staff, start a corps, design a show, stop going to shows where the G7 is performing, whatever.

Whining on this rag isn't really helping your case though.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

Yeah...sent a private message about that several hours ago. I was hoping he could change it before anyone else caught it. But the thought of a Chopin rag is as intriguing as that of a Joplin polonaise.

If you are looking for something to DISLIKE about any given performance, corps, show or year, you can find it.

If you are looking for something to LIKE about any given performance, corps, show or year, you can also find it.

Either way, you are right.

You are entitled to your opinions. But they probably do not line up with all of those around you.

Just because you have opinions does not lead to the conclusion that we are experiencing the "Death of Corps".

Besides, you are way too late. Drum corps died in 1971. Before DCI ever started. They made tee shirts and everything.

Choplin, perhaps?

I am actually a little confused by the original post. It suggests pushing the envelope, which seems what several corps have done in the last 7 years, the time span to which the original post seems to be suggesting.

Cadets 2005 and 2006 really pushed the envelope, in my opinion. I actually thought 2006 was a very unusual, but extremely well performed show, that a lot of people didn't like, because it pushed the envelope just a little too far. BD has had some shows that kind of pushed the envelope, with 2008, 2010, and 2012 coming to mind. But once again, people seem to complain about those shows. But these years, where corps pushed the envelope, which you suggested more corps do, you find nothing exciting to come out of those recent years. Other corps like Crown, BK, SCV, Cavaliers, Spirit, and Teal Sound have also pushed the envelope in recent years.

But if you can look at any of the recent years, and watch 35-45 drum corps, and don't find anything entertaining and exciting, then I wonder if you are participating in the right activity. This last year, corps like BD and BK had some very unusual shows. On the other end of the spectrum, you had corps like Jersey Surf, and Colts who had just well performed, fun musical shows that the majority of the crowds seemed to enjoy. So in that aspect it sure seems to me like there was something for everyone last year.

• Like 1

I have very different tastes from the OP

I also disagree with their premise

". I actually thought 2006 was a very unusual, but extremely well performed show, that a lot of people didn't like, because it pushed the envelope just a little too far."

I didn’t like it much and I don’t think it pushed the envelope. It wasn’t nearly as well executed as 2005

Those pink tables were on the field way too long, they became GE killers, sort of like last years’ presents – it slowed the show down, killed the pacing, kept the horns from playing and they didn’t add much over all. I had several other issues with that show but wanted to give just an example

I find the idea that people don’t like a corps because it pushes the envelope too much bogus. It’s what people say when a show they like doesn’t score well but I’ve never heard another fan say it when they didn’t actually like a show

I have very different tastes from the OP

I also disagree with their premise

". I actually thought 2006 was a very unusual, but extremely well performed show, that a lot of people didn't like, because it pushed the envelope just a little too far."

I didn’t like it much and I don’t think it pushed the envelope. It wasn’t nearly as well executed as 2005

Those pink tables were on the field way too long, they became GE killers, sort of like last years’ presents – it slowed the show down, killed the pacing, kept the horns from playing and they didn’t add much over all. I had several other issues with that show but wanted to give just an example

I find the idea that people don’t like a corps because it pushes the envelope too much bogus. It’s what people say when a show they like doesn’t score well but I’ve never heard another fan say it when they didn’t actually like a show

You are right, 06 wasn't performed quite as well as 2005, but in my opinion, it was performed extremely well. I felt it should have placed 3rd that year, behind Cavies and BD. To me, I find Cadets 06,and BD 2012, very similar. Both were very well performed shows. Both seemed to be disliked by a good percentage of drum corps fans. And I agree there were some slight issues with Cadets 06, the same could be said with BD 12.

I also feel some people use pushing the envelope as a way of covering up what their true statement should be. I don't understand why people are so afraid to simply say, I didn't like that show. For example, this year I really didn't care much for Cadets Christmas show. It was extremely well performed, but I didn't care for the music or concept. I also thought BK went downhill during the season, as they changed their show from early season. But a bunch of people I talked to really enjoyed that show.

I just fail to believe, if someone watched all 36 shows from last season(the number of corps that participated in Indy) that they couldn't find at least 5 shows that they really enjoyed.