Bye G7!

Well, based on the filings for your own circuit, it seems your time with us has come to an end G7.

Thanks for offering some entertainment and Holier-than-thou ideas.

I'm sure glad that those of you leading your new endeavor feel that what you did in corps and what you learned means virtually nothing.

I'm glad you did your research on organizations that minimize, and their success.

If not, here are a few samplings of how it has worked.

1. Professional sports-NBA, NFL, MLB have all expanded and added groups, which has hurt them so badly. You're right to limit who can be there.

2. Governments that only want a certain "type"-It sure worked out in the 1920's-1940's in Europe. I mean, Germany, Italy, they worked out well by saying that only certain groups could be in their club. You all must have read Mein Kampf-great read, good ideas, glad you learned from it. I'm sad I took different lessons.

I look forward to hearing how $50-100 tickets in a high school stadium work out with only 7 groups playing. I can't afford that, so I'm going to keep going to shows that don't cost that much with groups that are providing an education to people.

Well, that's all. Just wanted to say goodbye! Take care. As Motel 6 says though, "We'll leave the light on for you"

• Like 5

Well, based on the filings for your own circuit, it seems your time with us has come to an end G7.

Thanks for offering some entertainment and Holier-than-thou ideas.

I'm sure glad that those of you leading your new endeavor feel that what you did in corps and what you learned means virtually nothing.

I'm glad you did your research on organizations that minimize, and their success.

If not, here are a few samplings of how it has worked.

1. Professional sports-NBA, NFL, MLB have all expanded and added groups, which has hurt them so badly. You're right to limit who can be there.

2. Governments that only want a certain "type"-It sure worked out in the 1920's-1940's in Europe. I mean, Germany, Italy, they worked out well by saying that only certain groups could be in their club. You all must have read Mein Kampf-great read, good ideas, glad you learned from it. I'm sad I took different lessons.

I look forward to hearing how $50-100 tickets in a high school stadium work out with only 7 groups playing. I can't afford that, so I'm going to keep going to shows that don't cost that much with groups that are providing an education to people.

Well, that's all. Just wanted to say goodbye! Take care. As Motel 6 says though, "We'll leave the light on for you"

Going to say this one more time...

1) Just because a group creates a legal entity and that entity is producing shows independent of DCI (see 1/2 of drum corps shows from 1972 up until late 1990's), it doesn't mean there is a conspiracy to leave DCI.

2) Drum corps has very little in common with professional sports

3) Drum corps has absolutely NOTHING in common with Nazi's

Please make this nonsense stop.

All that is happing now is that the economy blows, food and fuel prices are increasing exponentially, to the point it is becoming very difficult to sustain touring drum corps at all.

The fact that drum corps even exists at all today... in any form... is a testament to the leadership of DCI, leadership of individual drum corps and the so many generous volunteers and fans that kept the thing going.

But... right now, we've hit a point where the activity is not exactly self-sustaining. New things need to be tried and different approaches should be explored for the various organizations based on their own individual commitments and missions.

NOT ALL DRUM CORPS SERVE THE SAME SEGMENT OF YOUTH.... NOT ALL HAVE THE SAME MISSION... NOT ALL APPEAL TO THE SAME AUDIENCE.

There is nothing wrong with segmentation. Clear and healthy segmentation, appropriately addressed, helps to support sustainability of the activity as a whole.

But, if you must get all parabolic and make absurd hyper-generalized historical leaps (especially of German origin)... then consider that Jeder nach seinen Fahigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedurfnissen... hasn't exactly proved to be a sustainable way to go. smile.gif

• Like 6

Going to say this one more time...

1) Just because a group creates a legal entity and that entity is producing shows independent of DCI (see 1/2 of drum corps shows from 1972 up until late 1990's), it doesn't mean there is a conspiracy to leave DCI.

2) Drum corps has very little in common with professional sports

3) Drum corps has absolutely NOTHING in common with Nazi's

Please make this nonsense stop.

All that is happing now is that the economy blows, food and fuel prices are increasing exponentially, to the point it is becoming very difficult to sustain touring drum corps at all.

The fact that drum corps even exists at all today... in any form... is a testament to the leadership of DCI, leadership of individual drum corps and the so many generous volunteers and fans that kept the thing going.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed, but other evidence that's been posted (and subsequently deleted by admins) indicates that the new organization is exactly that. A few shows this year to raise money, and plans to grow that in future years, all the while milking what they can out of DCI until they're confident they can leave.

We'll have a much better idea after the show details are announced.

I'm with Daniel on the "stop with the Nazi comparisons" thing.

ENOUGH already.

This entire G7 situation... regardless of what any of us might think about it... is not even in the same zip code as what happened in Nazi Germany before and during the war.

Plus, and I gotta be honest, comparing the two situations is, to me, like a slap in the face to the victims of that ghastly period in world history. Good Lord.

• Like 2