Your literary contribution!

The winter issue of “Masters of the Marching Arts” is due by Christmas, and I want to know what makes our DCI audience tick. Here's a chance to have your opinions published! A few years ago, I wrote an article from the viewpoint of solely being in charge of all DCI rules. I discussed maxiumum corps size and show length, electronics, the dreaded INT at small shows to name a few examples. What would you do?

Also:

** Your favorite performances and why.

** What attracts you to buy a ticket to a show?

** How far will you travel to a show (excluding Indianapolis)?

** How often do/have you attend/ed Championships?

** If you could march anywhere (with no obstacles in your way), which corps? Why?

** How important is a corps' theme in understanding what you see/hear?

This can be “Fantasy DCI” and your chance to be the (I hope) benevolent dictator of the activity. Be as specific as you can; no opinion will be regarded as stupid or useless. If you comment on others' suggestions, be cool.

Thanks!

Tad F

Oh, if anyone criticizes me for looking for help in my writing assignment, my Muse was a corps that shall not be named which went to the Internet to pick its 2013 repertoire. From the East. In Maroon and Gold. With 10 DCI trophies. And about 20 name changes.

The winter issue of "Masters of the Marching Arts" is due by Christmas, and I want to know what makes our DCI audience tick. Here's a chance to have your opinions published! A few years ago, I wrote an article from the viewpoint of solely being in charge of all DCI rules. I discussed maxiumum corps size and show length, electronics, the dreaded INT at small shows to name a few examples. What would you do?

Also:

** If you could march anywhere (with no obstacles in your way), which corps? Why?

This can be "Fantasy DCI" and your chance to be the (I hope) benevolent dictator of the activity. Be as specific as you can; no opinion will be regarded as stupid or useless. If you comment on others' suggestions, be cool.

Thanks!

Tad F

Oh, if anyone criticizes me for looking for help in my writing assignment, my Muse was a corps that shall not be named which went to the Internet to pick its 2013 repertoire. From the East. In Maroon and Gold. With 10 DCI trophies. And about 20 name changes.

The Washington Redskins?

I haven't been around this stuff long enough to address your first question: "What would you do?"

But, I think I can respond to your mini-survey.

Blue Knights "Avian". Hey...my son is in it.

To see my son perform, of course.

From Colorado Springs to San Antonio.

Never...though that might change this next season.

None of them. I'm not a "performing" kind of guy.

I'd say not very important, though it can help...especially for someone like me who doesn't have an in-depth awareness of the nuances of music, drill and such. I guess it's fair to say that I don't really try to "understand" what I see and hear. I just want to enjoy the show like I did when I saw Jersey Surf, BK and BD, among others. I think it's also important to point out that I enjoyed those shows for very different reasons.

• Like 1

My favorite performance, and what got me hooked on the activity, was the Crossmen in 1992. I remembering seeing them, and for the first time not just seeing and hearing a drum corps (or any other marching band/group), but "feeling" their performance. The members that year, especially in the drumline (being that I am a percussionist), were absolutely into the show. You could see, hear, and feel their grooves, their passion, their emotion. I remember sitting there after the show and proclaiming to the people I was with, "I am going to march for the Crossmen one day!" Low and behold, I eventually did march for the Crossmen and made one of my dreams come true.

As a member of Bones, one of my greatest memories was at Semi-Finals in 1999 (my age out year). We were going to warm-ups when I hear somebody shout my name. I looked out of the corner of my eye, and my Dad had made the trip all the way to Madison to see my final 2 shows. It meant a lot to me to know that my Dad was in the stands not only cheering for me, but for all my brothers and sisters as well.

-I go to Championships almost every year.

-I would not change anything about where I marched, but if I could choose anywhere for my son (7 years old, and beginning to have interest in the activity), I would love for him to march for the Blue Devils. Not for the seemingly obvious reasons of winning, but the musical, cultural, and life skills education he would receive from such a world class organization. No slight to any corps, but the level of performance mixed with the diverse group of individuals is something that would benefit him in all aspects of life.

• Like 1