BD's 2013 program

Dave Glyde posted that BD will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of Rite of Spring and doing a show about primitive art and music.

Sounds very interesting!

I'm not sure if it's an official announcement but it's sounds just like what I would expect them to do this year. I don't care what anyone says Right of Spring hasn't even been done correctly until the BD monster has done it! I love me some Stravinsky!

worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

• Like 1

Where was this information at?

If this is true, could be interesting.

If it's the case it's been arranged very cleverly by people the Blue Devils are familiar with.

Don Sebesky did an arrangement of it which is on the album "Three Works for Jazz Soloists and Symphony Orchestra."

It is also used as part of "Bird and Bela in Bb" which BD has used before-although I can't recall them using the moments that Sebesky used from "Rite." It's in the 2nd and 3rd Movements.

There is also a very cool jazz arrangement of it for solo piano and percussion on a new album with Dylan Howe and Will Butterworth.

Could be a lot of fun if they use it and go in some of those directions.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

It was shared by Shawn Glyde on FB. Yea I forgot about the Sebesky arrangement. I have that album. I'm gonna listen to it sometime tonight.

Plus now Crown has Glen Crosby? it's gonna be good here in the west this summer!

Don Sebesky did an arrangement of it which is on the album "Three Works for Jazz Soloists and Symphony Orchestra."

It is also used as part of "Bird and Bela in Bb" which BD has used before-although I can't recall them using the moments that Sebesky used from "Rite." It's in the 2nd and 3rd Movements.

I've had the album since it's been on vinyl and can't find any Stravinsky influence in "Bird and Bela in B-flat," which is inspired by Bela Bartok and Charlie Parker. Having had to spend weeks during my masters degree in music theory working with both composers, the only similarity in the styles is they both still sound fresh and modern. Sebesky did an astoundingly amazing job synthesizing the styles.

Bartok and Stravinsky were European contemporaries and were aware what each other was doing, but the BD offerings of "Bird and Bela in B-flat" were devoid of direct influence from Stravinsky and "Rite."

I've had the album since it's been on vinyl and can't find any Stravinsky influence in "Bird and Bela in B-flat," which is inspired by Bela Bartok and Charlie Parker. Having had to spend weeks during my masters degree in music theory working with both composers, the only similarity in the styles is they both still sound fresh and modern. Sebesky did an astoundingly amazing job synthesizing the styles.

Bartok and Stravinsky were European contemporaries and were aware what each other was doing, but the BD offerings of "Bird and Bela in B-flat" were devoid of direct influence from Stravinsky and "Rite."

That's interesting, I too have it on vinyl and from iTunes, and when I begin movement 2/3, its the opening notes of the bassoon solo.

I stand corrected on the original vinyl press, which is not the Stravinsky.

That's odd that on the iTunes it's not the correct piece, oh well, at least I have the vinyl to listen to the true Bird and Bela.

The arrangement of Rite of Spring on both versions, vinyl and iTunes is cool though, so that would be fun if they went that route.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced