What ever happened to BIG DRUMS!

BD92, PR96 etc.

Those shows are laced with BIG DRUMS, I really miss the BIG DRUMS popping out at you throughout the whole show

Perhaps it was just a 90s thing but it sounded so good!

BD92, PR96 etc.

Those shows are laced with BIG DRUMS, I really miss the BIG DRUMS popping out at you throughout the whole show

Two things mainly, in my opinion:

1) Kevlar heads

2) Changes in percussion writing style, which was partially due to #1.

In short. Due to the physics of having a drum head generate a much larger rebound from a stick striking it, it is physically impossible to generate the same volume from the same impact energy. The more energy that goes into rebounding the stick, the less that can be used to generate acoustic sound. This is why snare drummers now have to 'monkey drum' in order to get a louder volume out of the drums - ie, rim-shots, etc.

• Like 2

Big drums? All I remember about 92 BD drums is the mountain of dirt covering me by the end of the show. Maybe I couldn't see any big drums because of that.

96 Phantom big drums? Again, not sure what you mean. Neat book, though.

Several times during both those shows the drums are very prominent, much more so than the brass but.... not to the detriment of the brass or the over all show.

PR at the end of the opener or just before the brass come in at the end of the drum feature then again towards the end of the closer, the drums overtake the brass with regard to the volume being generated from he field.

BD at the end of the opener going into the 2nd piece, at the end of the 2nd piece going into the drum feature, the end of La Suerte then famously the intro to When a Man Loves a Woman.

Might be dirty but it was LOUD!

Two things mainly, in my opinion:

1) Kevlar heads

2) Changes in percussion writing style, which was partially due to #1.

In short. Due to the physics of having a drum head generate a much larger rebound from a stick striking it, it is physically impossible to generate the same volume from the same impact energy. The more energy that goes into rebounding the stick, the less that can be used to generate acoustic sound. This is why snare drummers now have to 'monkey drum' in order to get a louder volume out of the drums - ie, rim-shots, etc.

So basically the percussion equivalent of the Brass lines going form G to Bb

D*mn those physics, I really enjoyed that style of writing.

BD92, PR96 etc.

Are you speaking figuratively, as in a more significant presence of drums/drumming in the overall mix, or do you mean like someone using, for instance, koto drums or some other physically large membranophones in their show?

Holiday regards,

Fred O.

if you're talking size, like big botom bass drums...well you run around todays field carrying a 36 inchbass drum and see how long you last

Are you speaking figuratively, as in a more significant presence of drums/drumming in the overall mix, or do you mean like someone using, for instance, koto drums or some other physically large membranophones in their show?

Holiday regards,

Fred O.

I mean as in a more significant presence during the show not the physical size of the instrument.