What ever happened to BIG DRUMS!

I mean as in a more significant presence during the show not the physical size of the instrument.

a lot of it is going to depend on the show. And lets be honest, in a dome for finals, you lose sounds, especially towards the low end

The irony in this context about these 2 shows you site, is that the drumline were relatively small in size. BD 92 (7 Snares, 4 Tenors, 5 BsDrms), PR 96 (7 snares, 3 Tenors, 5 BsDrms). The reason is simple why there are predominant. Their location to the mics. BD was near the front as well as PR's drumline in the opener. At the end the drumline is right on the 50, where the Brass is to the left from the 45-35 yrd line.

PR%2096%20Opener.JPG

Edited by Jeffe77

Crown seemed to feature the big drums pretty prominently in their show last year, so they are still getting used.

Up until the early 80's the standard snare was 15" with a silver dot or occasionally a Remo clear dot. I enjoyed the sound of the TDR's and Challengers much more so than today's Kevlar. Today's snares just do not have the tone quality - they sound like someone playing on a Formica countertop.

Marty had PR marching a 40" bass up through about 1980. Brought a lot of bottom end to the sound.

Tenors were 14-16-18 and went to 12-14-16 with the Ludwig Power Toms. Then Slingerland came out with the cut-away toms and I still question if anyone has produced as fine a tenor sound as the Slingerland cut-aways.

Then Slingerland came out with the cut-away toms and I still question if anyone has produced as fine a tenor sound as the Slingerland cut-aways.

I have always liked the Ludwig Power Cut toms from the 80s. Listen to those Mike Back lines at Spirit for an example.