G7 Update

Until the minutes of the BoD meeting are released we have no idea either way.

Irony is I could take a page from your book and call this post a conspiracy theory that non-G7 don't want to change.

win.

DCI is an event and media production company

One more time... DCI is an event and media production company serving a consortia of drum corps.

can you repeat that please?

:tongue:/>

So I emailed DCI about costs and they actually messaged me within minutes. Here is a clip from the 2014 TEP contract:

"For a World Class event, the average DCI contract for a 6-8 corps show is approximately $25,000 (depending upon line-up) and a Open Class show is approximately $7000 for 8-12 corps. Additional corps would increase the contract from $500-2500 per corps. What are your budget limitations and how many corps would you anticipate having in your show?"

This goes against $5k for a top corps, and does not break down actual costs. I guess since you really can't choose what corps come your way if you hold a show it really doesn't matter exactly what each corps are getting?

There are other parameters as far as holding a sanctioned show. I wonder if you could hold an unsanctioned show? For instance, could you put together an "Open Invitational" that would be the day before or after Allentown? No DCI judges, just a panel or crowd judging. Pay the corps to show up. Could the G7 (or anyone really) just hold a show and pay top dollar to the corps to show up?

My understanding is that any single corps can do whatever performance they want to, but once you put them in a lineup with any other corps, they must have DCI sanction and sign off.

So I emailed DCI about costs and they actually messaged me within minutes. Here is a clip from the 2014 TEP contract:

"For a World Class event, the average DCI contract for a 6-8 corps show is approximately $25,000 (depending upon line-up) and a Open Class show is approximately $7000 for 8-12 corps. Additional corps would increase the contract from $500-2500 per corps. What are your budget limitations and how many corps would you anticipate having in your show?"

This goes against $5k for a top corps, and does not break down actual costs. I guess since you really can't choose what corps come your way if you hold a show it really doesn't matter exactly what each corps are getting?

There are other parameters as far as holding a sanctioned show. I wonder if you could hold an unsanctioned show? For instance, could you put together an "Open Invitational" that would be the day before or after Allentown? No DCI judges, just a panel or crowd judging. Pay the corps to show up. Could the G7 (or anyone really) just hold a show and pay top dollar to the corps to show up?

This is data I saw three years ago, and I can tell you that the "seasonal" variable was added a couple of years ago such that an early-season show costs less than a late season show of the same corps.

With the wide margin of costs that were quoted to you, I wouldn't be surprised that this data has not been updated to reflect this year's charges.

The non-7, as you call them, have voted in favor of numerous changes over the years, so it would not be accurate to characterize them that way.

As for their plan, they were on board with the DCI business plan that was ratified in 2009 by the DCI membership, which would have been pursued had the G7 not immediately developed their own competing agenda. Nevertheless, since then, they have approved several of the G7 ideas for implementation via the TOC shows and whatever this 2013 special show series becomes. They have also been part of the great judging sheet rewrite completed in 2012. Clearly, these corps are open to change.

illegal use of logic, 10 yards, repeat 1st down

I'm not certain that your math works. It seems you're mostly saying revenue should be paid out over the season instead of the end, and that somehow "balances". I don't think you've got it right, but I don't think it matters much to the corps, and I'd bet it matters even less to the G7.

How can it be that a corps that spends $2million on programs is willing to break up the activity to get a potential 10% more? I don't think money is the biggest driver of the discussion.

I think it's frustration at having "contributed" to the overall activity (Fan Network, TOC, etc), at having had suggestions ignored, being vilified for being able to produce the product they deem best, only to have the final "thanks" be ejection from the BOD.

I think it's a lack of growth ideas that are substantial and not subject to screw up by the DCI staff, or watered-down into ineffectiveness by the group think.

There are lots of things that a part of this rift but, somehow, I can't believe it's centered on money.

I could be wrong.

money's a part...if you read the original G7 proposal, there were two consistent themes....money and power.

if I were a non G7 corps though, one statement would scare the hell out of me.

Here are the guys that think they know best and should control it all...but they admit they don't know the cure. So, why should I give up any chance of having power just so i can entrust the fate of the circuit to people who don't have a solution??? I mean that screams to me if something fails, ok we try something else....and hey, ok it may kill others along the way. That's ludicrous!Who in their right mind would willingly cede power to people that admit they don't have clue 1 about how to fix it...especially when they are the ones that helped create the mess they cry is broken?

Seriously, these guys are like congressmen...pass a law, then when it goes up in smoke, they want to lay the blame elsewhere...and they passed the ###### thing

• Like 1

Excellent post! I would like to add a couple of thoughts.

Unlike MLB, though, not every corps has a "home" show to get helped by that attendance bump. And as Garfield (I think it was) posted on here - his show's attendance didn't jump all that much when a top corps was added.

To be fair, though, none of the G-7 corps have even run for election on the Board. They're demanding it be ceded to them in a block vote... why does it have to be all or nothing? And why does it need to be via competitive placement? On field success has little to nothing to do with financial acumen. Heck, from looking at the 990's, I'd much rather have Pacific Crest and The Academy running things than Regiment or Crown.

I'm totally on board with you about growing the activity, though. I just think that the DCI Board has gotten the business and the art of drum corps completely twisted together in an artificial and damaging way.

Mike

I have said it before, but I'll say it again...artists are usually the worst business people. if they have a great business thing going for them, odds are someone else is taking care of that.