G7 Update

No, statements like that are the problem. 'The facts' are very disputable and interpretive. There are a lot of ideologues using 'the facts' in a faith based mean to push their agendas. Sides show a lack consideration for other options by stating 'facts'

It's nice that some are having this kumbaya moment and want to be all positive but in many ways, being all positive is part of the problem. Accountability is lacking, too many want to throw their hands up and say it just is; they did the best they could.

No, there were options, other ways; this course was set years back and now its coming due

This thread is a reflection of the stress caused by the uncertainty of the situation. It shows some of the damage that has already been caused. This thread should act as fodder for a resolution to the situation now. This thread also shows how powerless we are as fans and how as fans we've been abused….and that many people's loyalties to 'their corps' allow for such abuse further empowering even more abuse

If you think through the economics and dynamics of a circuit of 7, you begin to see what this really is about and it's all rather rank. I'm so sick of hysterical fear mongering, I'm so sick of the G7, do it or shut the **** up

Dude, it is absolute fact that DCI runs like it is stuck in 1996.

This isn't ideology, this is simply about how the business is run.

• Like 3

Isn't that "fact" your opinion?

And don't knock 1996. It's the year that Dolly the cloned sheep was born.

• Like 4

I believe you, it's just that the email from DCI states that adding a World Class corps to a show is $500 to $2500. The part I posted is the only mention of costs: "For a World Class event, the average DCI contract for a 6-8 corps show is approximately $25,000 (depending upon line-up) and a Open Class show is approximately $7000 for 8-12 corps. Additional corps would increase the contract from $500-2500 per corps. What are your budget limitations and how many corps would you anticipate having in your show? "

Maybe ADDING corps after the line up is set maxes out at $2,500?

Could be - I've never added after the fact so not sure!

Isn't that "fact" your opinion?

And don't knock 1996. It's the year that Dolly the cloned sheep was born.

No. It is fact. There is no need to do a lot of the things they do now in this day and age.

They can be much more lean simply by utilizing much more technology and restructuring things in a much more flexible way. I've explained this in depth in other posts.

To be fair, Fan Network is not exactly in 1996... but closer to 2006 than now. There are much better options out there now...

More money could be made from putting videos on Youtube as a content partner than could be made from the Fan Network.

• Like 3

Round and round we go...

Want to cut down on contest expenses and have more money for corps? Trim down judging panels and mean it. Have real faith in the people you accredit to judge and don't double up big captions in big shows. Consolidate captions overall. As you rebalance the sheets to reflect music more realistically, it would be easy to design five judge panels. Talk about savings!

Someone mentioned G7 frustration that the other corps aren't "keeping pace." Bless those other corps for doing just that. The changes pushed by the G7 ring leaders have made this activity more and more prohibitively expensive.

Here's the baseline question: What's best for the entire drum corps activity?

the only shows with doubled up panels ( and then just GE) are the ones DCI themselves run...so they really have no one to blame but themselves.

that doesn't mean just handing over the power to 7 people is better, especially when it's determined by judges. if that's the case, bring in Howie, Howard and Sharon

No. It is fact. There is no need to do a lot of the things they do now in this day and age.

They can be much more lean simply by utilizing much more technology and restructuring things in a much more flexible way. I've explained this in depth in other posts.

To be fair, Fan Network is not exactly in 1996... but closer to 2006 than now. There are much better options out there now...

More money could be made from putting videos on Youtube as a content partner than could be made from the Fan Network.

true.but the Fan Network is a useful asset in terms of showing live broadcasts. Where DCI drops this ball is not showing finals. And quite frankly, the movie theater option may be better suited to the FN toofor quarter finals

Have you looked at the G7 lately? They've tried TWO OTHER TIMES already to break away from DCI and FAILED due to a lack of funds, infrastructure and basic business resources. And do you KNOW who bailed them out BOTH times? That organization that you say is "stuck in 1996".

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

Now THAT I agree with (key word "could"). The youtube partners program is a huge money maker for channels that average over one million viewers. And DCI does happen to have one themselves that boasts over two million video views...

http://www.youtube.com/dcifannetwork

So,.................? Why are they not capitolizing on it? I have a hint on why....anyone anyone...Buler....Buler?

Edited by stevedb1975