The Moving Stars

Stu

Star of Indiana leaving DCI to form the production of Blast: Was that an upward move into something greater than DCI, a lateral move into something different than DCI, or a downward move into something that has less status and value than DCI? This is an applicable question to current events due to the possible future plans of the G7 moving away from DCI.

• Like 1

Star of Indiana leaving DCI to form the production of Blast: Was that an upward move into something greater than DCI, a lateral move into something different than DCI, or a downward move into something that has less status and value than DCI? This is an applicable question to current events due to the possible future plans of the G7 moving away from DCI.

In retrospect, star's breakout from DCI and venturing into the unknown world of for-profit worked,.......... but is their really room in the marketplace for 7 more of these touring acts?.............I think not,............ When the compeditive aspect is actually removed from the equation can these 1000 or so performers actually be sustained,.............the flaw in their plan lies somewhere within these concepts,............hey even Barnum and Baileys stopped the 3 ring circus concept simply because of the costs of the seperate red and blue 3 ring touring troupes was no longer sustainable

• Like 1

Again, I love those waffles.

• Like 2

I don't think you can compare the two. Blast has had a good and successful run (which continues, apparently), but it's not a part of my life any more, nor most drum corps fans. DCI gives thousands of young people the opportunity to perform amazing programs to tens of thousands of screaming fans every summer. Blast is no more relevant to that than any touring ex-Broadway show.

For me, the most important thing to take from Star's departure from DCI is that Bill Cook had the dignity and courage to go do the new thing he wanted to do on his own. He succeeded and DCI continued on its mission. He didn't spend years trying to mold DCI into merely a means to support his own artistic vision. He recognized that DCI was not the place for what he wanted to do and he moved on.

• Like 5

So far no one has addressed the question: Was it an upward, lateral, or downward move for Star?

I'd say that, when it come right down to it, that's up to Star to answer.

In my mind, though, I'd say the direction of the move wasn't any of those. They went in a totally different direction that has no relation to their position in DCI.

• Like 4

In my mind, though, I'd say the direction of the move wasn't any of those. They went in a totally different direction that has no relation to their position in DCI.

this is the answer,....

So, to be consistent your position will also be the same if the G7 completely split-off from DCI and do their own thing, correct?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Agree. In my mind, the move was a 180-degree about-face turn, followed by a venture off towards a totally different direction.

Agree. In my mind, the move was a 180-degree about-face turn, followed by a venture off towards a totally different direction.

So, you would also have the same opinion if the G7 broke away from DCI and did their own thing apart from DCI; correct?

• Like 2