The Moving Stars

Stu

So, you would also have the same opinion if the G7 broke away from DCI and did their own thing apart from DCI; correct?

No, I wouldn't see them the same way, as such a scenario wouldn't be a 180. The organizations would still be drum corps, competing during the summer for the same audience, judged by the same people, going after the same talent base, trying to tap into the same discretional money the fans have...

Star did not still compete, raised the age limit, with Blast! booked only indoor theaters with stages, (some Brass Theater events were held outdoors at band shell events and others were held on wide-open arena floors), and, while trying to get drum corps fans to come to the shows, also went after people who had no interest in see a corps competition.

Quite different animals.

• Like 2

Had the question been " Was Blast! a successful vehicle for marketing brass and percussion entertainment? " My answer would be YES! An overwhelming YES!

I saw Blast! 3 times in New York. The audience included many who were simply "fans of Broadway." I sought them out before, during intermission, and after the show They were enthralled and content with their purchase. I'd say, their response was a positive for something similar to what DCI provides. Anything worth learning here?

Yes there is something to learn: a) What DCI people supported or knocked Star becoming Blast; and b) Would those same people hold the same consistent opinion if the G7 followed suit in a break-away from DCI.

No, I wouldn't see them the same way, as such a scenario wouldn't be a 180. The organizations would still be drum corps, competing during the summer for the same audience, judged by the same people, going after the same talent base, trying to tap into the same discretional money the fans have...

Star did not still compete, raised the age limit, with Blast! booked only indoor theaters with stages, (some Brass Theater events were held outdoors at band shell events and others were held on wide-open arena floors), and, while trying to get drum corps fans to come to the shows, also went after people who had no interest in see a corps competition.

Quite different animals.

Hmmm.... last time I checked the movers and shakers within the G7 want to create a type of marching activity which is rather different than DCI (more of a lolopolooza production, with woodwinds, bells, whistles, fireworks, smoke, and all out showmanship entertainment than a competitive 'drum corps' activity.) This might not be a 180 shift, but it is somewhere past a 90 degree left turn; therefore a break-away would not really become a drum corps activity competing against another drum corps activity but something completely different.

Yes, Blast! played in So CA at Disney's CA Adventures for a little under a year, I think. Blast! also won a Tony Award and Emmy Award, something no DCI corps has achieved as far as I know. While it is a drastic, 180 difference from Star's DCI corps, if we were to somehow try to quantify DCI success vs non-DCI success, I think I would say Star leaving DCI and performing as a for-profit entity was an upward move.

I agree.

Drum corps competitions vs. Broadway, "the world's greatest stage"?

As much as I enjoy drum corps... there's no comparison here.

Edited by Fran Haring

Hmmm.... last time I checked the movers and shakers within the G7 want to create a type of marching activity which is rather different than DCI (more of a lolopolooza production, with woodwinds, bells, whistles, fireworks, smoke, and all out showmanship entertainment than a competitive 'drum corps' activity.)

Where are you getting this from? That's not in the G7 powerpoint. Regardless, if they do this with high school and college kids on a summer tour at football stadiums, then it's nothing like what Star did.

Edited by skywhopper

Where are you getting this from? That's not in the G7 powerpoint.

a) If Hopkins has control there will be woodwinds; and b) What part of the definition of 'Circus', which was a clearly stated concept in the original PowerPoint presentation, are you not understanding?

Edited by Stu

Depends. If they establish a competing drum corps circuit, then no. If they create a Broadway show and tour the world with it, then yes.

This is true, and until something actually happens it's all goofy speculation. Hoppy has talked about leaving DCI to form some sort of independent group (with woodwinds) since the mid-90's. Until he actually does it, speculating on whether or not it's a good move is just wasting space

Edited by perc2100