The Moving Stars

Stu

I don't think you can compare the two. Blast has had a good and successful run (which continues, apparently), but it's not a part of my life any more, nor most drum corps fans. DCI gives thousands of young people the opportunity to perform amazing programs to tens of thousands of screaming fans every summer. Blast is no more relevant to that than any touring ex-Broadway show.

For me, the most important thing to take from Star's departure from DCI is that Bill Cook had the dignity and courage to go do the new thing he wanted to do on his own. He succeeded and DCI continued on its mission. He didn't spend years trying to mold DCI into merely a means to support his own artistic vision. He recognized that DCI was not the place for what he wanted to do and he moved on.

I think he left because he was underwriting loads of things, like the broadcast, literally bailing corps out in the middle of the season, and people were still dicks.

Was about as cut and dried as that.

• Like 3

Star of Indiana leaving DCI to form the production of Blast: Was that an upward move into something greater than DCI, a lateral move into something different than DCI, or a downward move into something that has less status and value than DCI? This is an applicable question to current events due to the possible future plans of the G7 moving away from DCI.

They moved in an oblique! Haha, ok, bad joke.

But didn't Blast hold a contract with Disney Parks for a good while? I have never been a fan of Blast, but I'd say anyone with a Disney contract would be stepping upward, at least for that time being.

They moved in an oblique! Haha, ok, bad joke.

But didn't Blast hold a contract with Disney Parks for a good while? I have never been a fan of Blast, but I'd say anyone with a Disney contract would be stepping upward, at least for that time being.

Yes, Blast! played in So CA at Disney's CA Adventures for a little under a year, I think. Blast! also won a Tony Award and Emmy Award, something no DCI corps has achieved as far as I know. While it is a drastic, 180 difference from Star's DCI corps, if we were to somehow try to quantify DCI success vs non-DCI success, I think I would say Star leaving DCI and performing as a for-profit entity was an upward move.

Had the question been " Was Blast! a successful vehicle for marketing brass and percussion entertainment? " My answer would be YES! An overwhelming YES!

I saw Blast! 3 times in New York. The audience included many who were simply "fans of Broadway." I sought them out before, during intermission, and after the show They were enthralled and content with their purchase. I'd say, their response was a positive for something similar to what DCI provides. Anything worth learning here?