Drumline Battle and SoundSport

DCI announces two new competitive music ventures

Drumline Battle -- groups of 2 to 30 percussionists competing in two-minute battle rounds in a 36' x 36' space.

SoundSport -- 5 to 50 performers playing any instrument and doing any movement in a 30' x 30' space.

Verrry interesting. I think this move to diversify the types of competitive musicianship being sponsored is a great move.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 2

As I said in the other thread. Eh.

Google "Thailand drumline contest" and you might be surprised how this is taking off in other parts of the world.

• Like 3

I like it.

Gonna be interesting to see where this takes place, how the "mini corps" could compete . . .could this be a home for some of the DCA minis, and a spring board for some smaller alumni units to showcase themselves?

Could be some interesting stuff to come out of it, and some creative ideas FROM NEW DESIGNERS sounds like fun.

Tin foil hat moment: . . .I hope some parties don't think we're going to get SoundSport in the door as an eventual replacement for DCI down the road . . .and that this is a back end to test out the "anything goes" environment for WC and OC. I doubt that's a consideration, but you know how we are about assuming around here. :tongue:

I'm excited for what this could be. The obvious question I still have is, will both DrumLine Battle and SoundSport be junior activities?

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

I like the message in the announcement that it provides a way back as well as a way in to competitive music for groups that would have a hard time fielding a drum corps on a football field. 10 members on the football field aren't going to have nearly as much fun as 10 members in one of these ensembles will. Not to mention that the scale of staff and transportation required are drastically cut down.

As to bawker's thought that this might be a way to open up WC to more experimentation, I see it the opposite. This is a great opportunity to scale back "drum corps" into something more traditional, and leave the weirdo electronic stuff to this SoundSport thinger. :tongue:

These types of competitions can be year-round a lot easier, as well, and DCI staff can use their expertise with online streaming, sales, and music licensing to make things a lot easier for these groups and for their potential fans.

Edited by skywhopper

As to bawker's thought that this might be a way to open up WC to more experimentation, I see it the opposite. This is a great opportunity to scale back "drum corps" into something more traditional, and leave the weirdo electronic stuff to this SoundSport thinger. :tongue:/>

. . .that's fine with me. :smile:

Tin foil hat moment: . . .I hope some parties don't think we're going to get SoundSport in the door as an eventual replacement for DCI down the road . . .and that this is a back end to test out the "anything goes" environment for WC and OC. I doubt that's a consideration, but you know how we are about assuming around here. tongue.gif

I think the restriction to 50 performers helps define that, but I've heard people in both DCI and DCA talk about drastically reducing group size and moving indoors, so... ph34r.gif Fingers crossed for these being springboard activities for drum corps. Woodwinds now have a marching option outside of marching band or learning brass/percussion/guard.. Drumlines can jam and battle without the "program" element that has become so developed with indoor, it seems, which I think will make for a different entertainment form than WGI (I love WGI; just pointing out what makes DrumLine Battle unique). Schools/musicians that aren't big on the marching arts can participate in SoundSport ("Movement/choreography optional") with their chamber ensembles in a competitive way. We could see very unique combinations... A jazz big band with a percussion ensemble? A string orchestra with a color guard? High schools doing Blast-esque productions?

Overall, I think this has great potential to broaden DCI's reach both here in America and worldwide. I can't wait to see this in action.

Edited by Tyler C.