Shows where the Drum Major stops conducting

BD 2012, during the Accel Roll drum break, the DM stops conducting. That's the only one off the top of my head that hasn't already been posted. If I think of more I'll add them.

Surf 12, in the beggining of William Tell, the pit gets a count off and then the DM's interact with each other.

Edited by lvl5drummer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where Brasso is coming from, but there is still much of a corps musical numbers that continue at the same tempo. Maybe that's where the members eyes have to be trained to constantly switch from drill corrections to the Dm(s). Maybe that is happening curently or just with certain corps that emphasize the importance of eye use during drill. In the course of a show the members stride might be a little off and the angle they use, especially marching backwards, might be off one degree. Eye use will help them make corrections after reaching their spot or as they approach their spot and notice their spacing needs an ajustment. Maybe it's more complicated than I believe it to be.

I understand where Brasso is coming from, but there is still much of a corps musical numbers that continue at the same tempo. Maybe that's where the members eyes have to be trained to constantly switch from drill corrections to the Dm(s). Maybe that is happening curently or just with certain corps that emphasize the importance of eye use during drill. In the course of a show the members stride might be a little off and the angle they use, especially marching backwards, might be off one degree. Eye use will help them make corrections after reaching their spot or as they approach their spot and notice their spacing needs an ajustment. Maybe it's more complicated than I believe it to be.

It gets REAL dicey especially when the Corps begins to play a ballad, Ghost. I can think of literally hundreds of examples where the ability of a Corps to play for example a ballad in a show without a DM would for all intents and purposes be almost impossible without major, major problems developing in the piece, especially in the attacks and releases phases of the musical playing.

I think I read where you recently signed on for a DCI subscription to Fan Network, Ghost and as such have access to all the top 12 Finals performances from the 70's thru to today. Just for the heck of it, you ( or anyone else for that matter ) could go and listen to Carolina Crown 2008 Finals performance on Fan Network. Go to approx. 5:35 minutes into the show by fast forwarding. The Corps begins to play their ballad for that year... " Claire De Lune ". Listen to the piece played and directed by the DM. Listen to the attacks and the releases played by the brass line while directed by the DM. Then pretend that there was no DM directing the ballad. How would the piece be played without DM direction ? Well, in my opinion, without DM direction, the attacks and the releases would become a complete mess. The ballad piece could not possibly be played properly and optimally without proper DM direction. They might be able to muddle thru, but more than likely it would completely fall apart, especially in the end with the tempo changes. And this is not unique. Its true with just about all Corps, especially in the ballad portions of shows ( and years ago, in the concert playing musical pieces that were played in concert formation ). Again, I get the point, and its a valid one, that there are many times in a show where the Corps really does not need DM direction of the music played. But there are LOTS of times when its not only preferable to have DM direction, its pretty much required to make the piece be played with optimal unison as intended regarding such things as proper tempo, attacks, releases, dynamics, etc

Edited by BRASSO

Agreed, especially those times when you're up on the podium, ensemble is struggling to keep together, on the edge of a tear... you do then, in fact, think to yourself... "i probably don't need to be here right now". :-)

Monkeys are not yet legal in DCI... until then, you've just gotta make do. :-)

P.S. - If you can do it in your sleep, your book is a box of doughnuts

04 DCA Prelims....the battery took off on the brass coming out of a halt late in Jupiter...eyes were on their heads and not on me. It wasn't until they came to the last stop and they looked up that they saw me and realized they were off.

Particularly with the wide field spread today, a DM is necessary to have a tempo source unaffected by sound delay. As Charlie Groh has said "speed of light is faster than speed of sound."

04 DCA Prelims....the battery took off on the brass coming out of a halt late in Jupiter...eyes were on their heads and not on me. It wasn't until they came to the last stop and they looked up that they saw me and realized they were off.

Why would the drumline watch the drum major? It's a lot easier for them to just play and have the drum major conduct the horns.

Particularly with the wide field spread today, a DM is necessary to have a tempo source unaffected by sound delay. As Charlie Groh has said "speed of light is faster than speed of sound."

That, and the plain BIZARRE acoustics at some venues. The horns might be able to do the show based on "feel" by the end of the season (after they've learned the muscle memory of how things are supposed to fit together), but the drum major still needs to be up there to inspire confidence in what's happening, especially when there's a wall in a weird place or an echoy dome or something.

Why would the drumline watch the drum major? It's a lot easier for them to just play and have the drum major conduct the horns.

Except that the battery and the DM work together on the tempo...you know that.

If the battery hadn't had their eyes on their heads, they would've seen me trying VERY hard to get their attention (kinda over did the size of the conducting pattern)...I knew they were off by the first measure of the tear...they were so oblivious, the snares and the tenors were off of each OTHER.