Do they do this?

Ok here's my "research."

2012 DCI finals attendance: 17,820

DCP members with 1+ post: 12,020 (5800 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 10+ post: 6,580 (11,240 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 50+ post: 3,320 (14,500 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 100+ post: 2,300 (15,520 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 200+ post: 1480 (16,340 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 500+ post: 720 (17,100 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

And that doesn't even factor in which of these members marched BITD, recently, staff, new fans, old fans, etc

Internet forums are rarely an honest representation of opinion within said activity.

Its hard to disagree with you that there were more people at Finals this past year than are on DCP.

This could be such a shocking revelation to those that attended Finals last year as well as those who frequent DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

The box office?

Yes.. this is the best representation of the fan base opinion that is out there.

Yes, often.

But, choose not to contribute as DCP has turned into a place with less diversity of opinion

They told you this ?

You must learn about polling and statistical sampling and how it is used in the real world. We do not have to poll everyone in a population to infer things about that population. We take a sampling of the population. Of course the people that post here are a subsection of the population, so it's difficult to infer everything from the opinions here. We (DCP posters) are a good source to find out some trends though.

I'm well aware. Perhaps I'll message every cmm and fmm I know IRL and ask them if they post on DCP.

Some DCI/DCI Corps Staff and Members go on DCP, some don't. On the Corps Membership side, members are encouraged to NOT go on DCP.

That doesn't change the fact that its not an accurate representation of the drum corps population as a whole.

Again, thats just speculation. It is not a " fact " at all. There is no evidence whatsoever to determine if what is posted on DCP is pretty representative of the overall fan base opinions,.... or not.

First of all, early on I noticed that we have multiple subsections on this site, and its probably fair to assume tthat the views expressed among each subsection site fans are diverse opinions reflected on various topics as well.

Although anecdotal in nature, I do know that whenever DCI does a national fan survey of views and opinions, ie best DCI shows in history, it does tend to mirror similar surveys that are conducted within DCP.

I've also read show reviews of Corps performances on this site and, in general, these reviews tend to mirror what appeared to be similar responses from fans in the stands around me. Corps shows that tend to be well received by DCP'ers ( Phantom " Spartacus " show ) tended to be well received by the fans in the stands at shows I attended. Conversely, shows that tended not to be all that well received by DCP'ers from reading their posts and reviews on here tended not to be all that well received by the fans at shows that I attended as well. As mentioned, its all anecdotal, but I see more similarities in expressed opinions than dissimilarities in views and opinions between what I read on DCP and what I hear away from DCP. That said, I would never make an unsupportable claim that the views and opinions expressed on DCP tend to mirror the general overall majority sentiments of the DCI fanbase at large. Those that make claims that DCP is not representative of the majority sentiment of national fan base are likewise engaging in nothing less than their own personal observation and asseessment... and thats nothing more than just pure speculation at best, too.

Edited by BRASSO