The founder of the Holy Name Cadets dies at age 94 1/2

John Baumfalk, Cadet #1, now belongs to the ages - FHNSAB...

To all the Holy Name Cadets,

I'm sad to have to share with you the news of first Drum Major and Holy Name Cadet founding member John Baumfalk's passing at the age of 94 1/2 years on Monday February 6, 2013.

He loved his Holy Name Drum and Bugle corps days and spoke of that happy time so very often that we knew all his stories by heart.

He was a true gentleman and we will miss him.

His graveside funeral will be Monday February 11, 2013 with military honors at Forest Lawn Cemetary in Cypress California at 12:30pm.

Cards may be sent to his family, Stepdaughters Sandi Shepherd, Mari Hinds and Stepson, Richard Richards:

C/O Sandi Shepherd

855 Cliff View Dr

Reno, NV 89523

On behalf of John's family I thank the Cadets for being a wonderful part of John's life.

FHNSAB

Judi Van Houten (John's neice)

Here's an interview I did with him back in 2007 at the Rose Bowl. I also have a photo of him with his sister that I posted on my Facebook page just now. (I forgot how to import photos from Facebook to DCP. When I try, I'm told I can't use that extension on DCP. Can someone go into my Facebook page and import the photo to this site?)

I had the intense pleasure of meeting and sitting with John Baumfalk during the last part of the DCI World Championships Quarterfinals. Mr. Baumfalk co-founded the Holy Name Cadets in 1934, was the corps’ first drum major and was also the corps’ first horn instructor, despite having no formal musical training.

His family relocated to California in the early 1940s, where he instructed a number of corps; including Monterey Park Girls and the Commodore Perry Japanese Boy Scouts. He was the latter corps’ horn instructor when they won the California American Legion State Championship in the early 1960s. After that victory, the corps went on a one-month tour of Japan and had an audience with Emperor Hirohito.

Now a resident of a Los Angeles suburb, so he was looking forward to seeing the DCI World Championships come to southern California.

When he was presented with a Holy Name Cadets jacket just prior to the DCI World Championships, the 89-year-young Baumfalk expressed two wishes: He wanted to see The Cadets one last time and he wanted to meet them face-to-face, which he did during The Cadets’ breakfast on the day of Division I Finals.

When asked about what he was seeing and hearing, he responded, “This is outstanding. It’s breathtaking. This is more than I imagined. The work is incredible. They do an excellent job with company fronts and things like that.

“They’re doing things we never thought of doing, things we wouldn’t dare. A lot of things they’re doing now weren’t allowed then. We weren’t allowed to march backwards. Everything was forwards. You see a lot of marching backwards now. I understand that, but it’s kind of strange to see them do that. But, they do it really well.

“There’s been a big change for the better. The biggest surprise is the music. We used to be limited with G and D bugles. You can tell now the sound is so much better. I enjoyed it very much. I think they’ve come a long way. I’m excited about the wonderful job all the corps are doing.”

Mr. Baumfalk eagerly anticipated meeting the members and staff of The Cadets at the Saturday breakfast, saying, “I’ll tell them to keep up the good work. When I helped start the corps, we couldn’t imagine being national caliber, and then we won a National Championship. And now the corps is one of the best in the world. This is a big thrill.”

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

What a great man.

And how he beamed, especially when the corps celebrated its 75th in 2009.

May the Lord grant him the reward of his many good labors and may he rest in peace. Amen.

FHNSAB

• Like 2

What a great man.

And how he beamed, especially when the corps celebrated its 75th in 2009.

May the Lord grant him the reward of his many good labors and may he rest in peace. Amen.

FHNSAB

Seconded.

Someone please check my math...

He was about 15 years old when he "co-founded" the corps?

Incredible.

As Dave says..read the story! It is indeed incredible.

I saw him at the 2009 75th anniversary...amazing!

Just as amazing at that event...one of the quartermistresses who sewed the first uniforms was still alive and at the event!!!!

• Like 1

I saw him at the 2009 75th anniversary...amazing!

Same here, Mike... that was a great night, with him and Al Mura there as the "original Cadets." :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad that the blizzard that hit the East Coast that weekend closing so many airports and cancelling so many flights prevented more from attending.

This is a most fine tribute others might like. http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=21807&news_iv_ctrl=1002

I presume John will be also remembered at the annual Memorial Mass at Most Holy Name Church in Garfield in the Spring. RIP.

An appreciative fan.