Long Awaited Trivia

Squires or Troopers?

Troopers ... 3 times.

Squires.......1 time

Neither Corps is the most however.

Dutch Boy - I believe 3 times

You are close. But they are not the Corps either.

Dutch Boy Cadets..... 4 times.

Incidentally, what frustration this Corps must have faced as all 13th finishes were ALL in a row.

1988...Dutch Boy misses Finals by 2 tenths ( to Sky Ryders )

1989.....Dutch Boy misses Finals by 3 tenths ( to Crossmen )

1990....Dutch Boy misses Finals by 9th tenths ( to Blue Knights )

1991....Dutch Boy misses Finals by 5 tenths ( to Sky Ryders, once more )

Edited by BRASSO

Dutch Boy was not 13th in 1990 semis. They were 13th in quarters, but moved up a spot to make the finals.

Oh, and going back to that Russian Christmas Music question - unless I remember wrong about Velvet Knights playing strains of it in 1992, we have five different corps who have played it in DCI finals competition.

And it is amazing how many corps have hit 13th three times. However, most 13ths goes to the Colts (5).

We have a winner !

Colts... they've missed out on finals 5 times over the years by finishing in 13th place.

1997, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010.

But maybe we should also point out that they also made the last spot in Finals... at 12th.... 5 times as well, out of their 8 Top 12 DCI Finalist accomplishments.

Edited by BRASSO

Okay, next question. Imagine there is a corps that sat out at least one season of competition, came back, sat out again, came back, sat out AGAIN, came back a third time... and after all that, made DCI finals for the first time. Is there such a corps, and if so, name them. (Of course, if there were no such corps, why would I ask?)

Perhaps the authors were like me and never considered the AL national championships to be a national championship show. VFW was always the national championship to me, and to everyone not associated with Garfield. I would say that 65 was the only indoor national championship.

It may not have been the national championship to you because your corps didn't have an AL sponsor and didn't go to it. But to those who did, which were a HUGE number of corps, the American Legion was most definitely a national championship, and some years it was even a bigger event than the VFW due to its location and proximity to the bulk of corps. I'm wondering if corps that only went to AL didn't consider VFW a national championship because it wasn't in their sphere.

The problem with this trivia game was that much of it was taken from two sources....Jodeen Popp's "Competitive Drum Corps: There & Then To Here & Now", and Earl Orf's

"Drum Corps Book of World Records". I actually contributed to both books. My name appears in the credits. The info that was available to both Jodeen and Earl at the time the books were published (late 1970s-early 1980s) was not very comprehensive. I was able to obtain complete Drum Corps News/Midwest Drum Corps News/Original Drum Corps World/Drum Corps Digest/Drum Corps America/Eastern Review publications in 1985, which was several years after Jodeen's and Earl's books came out. They never had full access to the published drum corps history I was finally able to get, so there were lots of blanks.

Whoever put the game together should have had access to more material than was used. We could do a much more thorough and complete game today if we were to attempt such a project.

I spoke with Jodeen about some of the errors in her book. She listed that Phantom Regiment won the 1975 Illinois VFW State. I knew otherwise because that was one of the first shows I ever marched as a member of Cavaliers. She told me someone from PR sent her the info when she requested submissions in Drum Corps World.

What I'm trying to remember is this: Who was Jodeen related to? I was first introduced to her through someone I already knew in drum corps whom I believe was related.

What I'm trying to remember is this: Who was Jodeen related to? I was first introduced to her through someone I already knew in drum corps whom I believe was related.

Jodeen's brother-in law was Hank Grana, and her daughter, Paula marched with Velvet Knights, Anaheim Kingsmen and Troopers. Paula later married Steve Beard, and she both marched with and taught the Blue Devils.

Edited by Northern Thunder