Long Awaited Trivia

Somebody else can start the next quiz.

What is the smallest brassline to perform in competition at World Class Div. DCI Finals. ( We'll start with from '75 onward ) Name that Corps, the year, and the number in the brassline that performed that nite.

Edited by BRASSO

What is the smallest brassline to perform in competition at World Class Div. DCI Finals. ( We'll start with from '75 onward ) Name that Corps, the year, and the number in the brassline that performed that nite.

I'll remember Pepe Notaro brought a corps to prelims once, I think it was St. Ignatius, that had like 15 horns and a total of about 30 kids in the corps, and they were good. It was amazing. They were loud, too. I think it was in Denver.

There were a couple of 34-horn lines in 1972. But if we are starting in 1975, I would guess the 1975 Troopers with 42 horns.

I'll remember Pepe Notaro brought a corps to prelims once, I think it was St. Ignatius, that had like 15 horns and a total of about 30 kids in the corps, and they were good. It was amazing. They were loud, too. I think it was in Denver.

Yes, and some of the Open Class Corps, like Les Sentors, for example, might have had even less than this in their Corps when they competed just a couple of years back in Open Class. I also recall hearing that the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark, N.J. won a couple of VFW and American Legion National Titles with approx 25-27 in the brassline back in the late 50's, early 60's.

The Corps I 'm asking for now made the DCI World Class Finals top 12 and to my knowledge it might be the smallest brass line to have done so ( since '75 anyway ).

You, or anybody here want to guess the Corps, the year, and the number they had in their performance on Finals Night ?

Edited by BRASSO

There were a couple of 34-horn lines in 1972. But if we are starting in 1975, I would guess the 1975 Troopers with 42 horns.

Yes.... the Troopers. They had 42 that year. Not sure if any Corps matched that number, its possible. I don't think any World Class Corps made Finals with less than 42 brass, but I 'd be willing to learn if thats the case or not.

I also noticed that the Blue Knights made Finals in '96 and performed on Finals Night with 47 brass, 6 snare, 5 Contrabass, and by the mid to late 90's this was considered pretty small to be make WC Finals with such numbers. They put out a sound that year of a much larger brass line too.

Edited by BRASSO

something tells me Boston and 35 horns,...........don't know the year,.........

Boston has gone out with as few as 19 in brass in World Class competition,( this might be a record.. 70's) but the first year they made DCI Finals in 1999 they had a pretty good sized brass line by then.

Edited by BRASSO

Boston has gone out with as few as 19 in brass in World Class competition,( early 70's) but the first year they made DCI Finals in 1999 they had a pretty good sized brass line by then.

understood,........but for some reason, I am thinking they had numbers (but not quality) problems in a more recent year,..............I could be completely wrong tho,..........

understood,........but for some reason, I am thinking they had numbers (but not quality) problems in a more recent year,..............I could be completely wrong tho,..........

You're are correct that Boston competed in World Class competition with 30'ish numbers in brass ( 80's) after almost completely falling apart in '83 when a staffer stole the Corps money and went to Vegas while the Corps was on tour in Europe. They were forced into bankruptcy, judge even stripped them of their name, " Boston Crusaders " and they went out and competed anyway under the simple name " Boston Corps ", but stayed together long enough to reclaim and buy back their name " Boston Crusaders " in '86 and then continued their chugging along. But you are right they did compete in the 80's in WC with very smallish 30'ish type numbers in the brass line. When they finally reached Top 12 Finals status in '99, their brass numbers were up to what others were putting out in '99 in numbers in the World Class Div.

Edited by BRASSO