Long Awaited Trivia

You're are correct that Boston competed in World Class competition with 30'ish numbers in brass ( 80's) after almost completely falling apart in '83 when a staffer stole the Corps money and went to Vegas while the Corps was on tour in Europe. They were forced into bankruptcy, judge even stripped them of their name, " Boston Crusaders " and they went out and competed anyway under the simple name " Boston Corps ", but stayed together long enough to reclaim and buy back their name " Boston Crusaders " in '86 and then continued their chugging along. But you are right they did compete in the 80's in WC with very smallish 30'ish type numbers in the brass line. When they finally reached Top 12 Finals status in '99, their brass numbers were up to what others were putting out in '99 in numbers in the World Class Div.

I know they had 24 in 79. I think they started out the first tour with 25 and kicked one out somewhere in Canada.

Yes.... the Troopers. They had 42 that year. Not sure if any Corps matched that number, its possible. I don't think any World Class Corps made Finals with less than 42 brass, but I 'd be willing to learn if thats the case or not.

Well, then, make that the next trivia question. Who were the two corps in 1972 finals with 34 horns?

I also noticed that the Blue Knights made Finals in '96 and performed on Finals Night with 47 brass, 6 snare, 5 Contrabass, and by the mid to late 90's this was considered pretty small to be make WC Finals with such numbers. They put out a sound that year of a much larger brass line too.

I remember that. Had I not counted heads, I would not believe there were only 47 brass.

The Kingsmen scored 90.15 at the West Milton show, and nobody would hit the 90-point mark again in a junior contest until 1975.

The West Milton show was judged by a panel of very senior members of the Ohio All-American Judges Assn. All the scores were way inflated.

There was only one GE judge, and he sat halfway up in the low bleachers, on the 30.

Well, at least every corps there got the same read.

Edited by HornsUp

The West Milton show was judged by a panel of very senior members of the Ohio All-American Judges Assn. All the scores were way inflated.

At least they were judges. Usually the "old-time" judging panels would kill the "newfangled" corps, so for the Kingsmen to get a 90 from them would be surprising.

You're are correct that Boston competed in World Class competition with 30'ish numbers in brass ( 80's) after almost completely falling apart in '83 when a staffer stole the Corps money and went to Vegas while the Corps was on tour in Europe. They were forced into bankruptcy, judge even stripped them of their name, " Boston Crusaders " and they went out and competed anyway under the simple name " Boston Corps ", but stayed together long enough to reclaim and buy back their name " Boston Crusaders " in '86 and then continued their chugging along. But you are right they did compete in the 80's in WC with very smallish 30'ish type numbers in the brass line. When they finally reached Top 12 Finals status in '99, their brass numbers were up to what others were putting out in '99 in numbers in the World Class Div.

thanks for the clarifying info,..........I guess I must be losing track of time,..........

thanks for the clarifying info,..........I guess I must be losing track of time,..........

I am well acquainted with this phenomena too ( haha)

Well, then, make that the next trivia question. Who were the two corps in 1972 finals with 34 horns?

" Finals " ?

Des Plaines Vanguard & the Bleu Raeders, perhaps ?

Edited by BRASSO

" Finals " ?

Des Plaines Vanguard & the Bleu Raeders, perhaps ?

That would be my guess (Bleu Raeders for sure). Somewhere I have the rundown on how many members each corps had in the early DCI years,

but I'll probably find it a few years from now.satisfied.gif/>

Edited by Northern Thunder

Stockton was one.