Yamaha, Jupiter, or King?

58 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of horns sounds the best?

I've been wondering which company makes the best horns for awhile now. I can only judge the mellophones, being that's what I play.

Edited by mjm207

In my experience, Yamaha makes better baritones than King and Jupiter. For euphonium though, Yamaha would be third behind King and Jupiter. I think I mostly prefer Yamaha's mellophone to King's offering. As far as trumpets go, the Yamaha Xenos are light years ahead of the King and Jupiter horns. I can't comment on tubas.

My overall opinion for ease of playing and good weight distribution: Yamaha

My overall opinion for ensemble sound: King

Trumpets: Yamaha

Mellophone: Yamaha

Baritone: Yamaha

Euphonium: Jupiter

(The King System Blue Hybrid is really great middle ground.)

Tubas: Jupiter

I can't comment on how they are to play, but I know I liked Phantom's sound a bit better before they switched from King to Jupiter.

• Like 2

Kanstul; so I did not vote :satisfied:/>

:thumbup:

Ya I picked King overall. Quite honestly all 3 in the trumpet part play like student models IMHO. But, hey I never blame the equipment when I play unless something is broken. Some people sound good on nothing and always turn the horn in their hands and look at it funny like it supposed to fix them. LOL :devil:

thumbup.gif

Ya I picked King overall. Quite honestly all 3 in the trumpet part play like student models IMHO. But, hey I never blame the equipment when I play unless something is broken. Some people sound good on nothing and always turn the horn in their hands and look at it funny like it supposed to fix them. LOL devil.gif

You think the Xeno professional model trumpets play like student models?? You are entitled to your opinion.. but really?? Unless you are talking about the trumpets they used to sell as their main one for marching.... now those.. were basically student models...

I prefer the sound to a solid King Hornline... like BD of recent years. I haven't had much time on the System Blue horns.. but the Ultimate series I enjoyed the Euphoniums. Those Phantom Buicks... you heard them alright... but especially 2005-2007 I really enjoyed Phantom's sound. Even when Boston and Crown were are Kings I enjoyed the sound quite a bit.

For the whole set.. I'd go with Yamaha. Best all around. They are easiest to hold well, decent balance, and play decent enough. The euphs play a little weird.. and are kind of stuffy.. but they sound alright... just don't go with a full line of Yamaha euphs. But obviously with Yamaha, Cadets/Crown/Madison/Crossmen/Bluecoats aren't having any problems with them. (Notice how different all five of those lines sound on the same exact horns!)

Jupiter.. I haven't played their latest models. But I've heard good things. And I can't tell when it's a Jupiter line anymore. I mean.. Phantom didn't sound bad at all. IN fact one of the best sounding lines they've had since 08. More had to do with teaching though.

Basically you can't go wrong with either.

• Like 1

So Kanstul and Tama are teaming up article here. There is some talk in the percussion forum of adding a keyboard company to the mix. I am assuming no DCI corps are playing on Kanstuls, and I know no one is playing on Tama's. The question is, who will be in 2014?