TOC/G7 Related Discussion

That is what we in the real world call stupid.

Nope; that is what we in the real world call free-market.

You're willing to let the most successful corps in DCI fold because they have a strong bingo operation that supports them, along with many other community programs? They don't just have their bingo operation, but it is a huge part of their income. It's the reason why SCV and BD are the most financially stable corps out there, because they have the big Bingo operations beneath them.

Yes, I am willing to let them fold if they are dumb enough to not diversify their revenue sources if Bingo no longer brings in enough revenue. It is not my job, and especially not the job of the tax payers, to bail out corporations which cannot adjust to the free market changes.

Here's a scenario. You're a small business owner, but a WalMart is going to open up down the street. It's a free market system, right? So if they put you out of business, it's your own fault for not finding other revenue sources right? That about what you're saying?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying (And Please Note: I am a business owner). While I do not compete with stores like Wal-Mart or Target, if I did, it is 'my' responsibility to figure out what "I" can do to pull in customers to my store and offer something better to the customer than what Wal-Mart and Target can offer (such as beat them at personal customer service, knowledgeable staff, etc...)

Edited by Stu

Stu,that is not the situation. There were some threads on this site that went into the actual situation in detail. You can learn more about it there, but the situation was a bit more complicated than what you think.

Also, the BD Bingo operation not only generates financial support for the BD organization, but also for many other local youth organizations and charities (a food bank, for example).

You can also be well assured that the boards of any drum corps out there that currently generate revenue from bingo are aggressively pursuing opportunities for revenue diversification. Anyway, not much more to say on this particular topic that has not been covered in the previous threads.

D-Ray: I agree that the situation was not simple, but I guarantee that the powers in charge of BD flat did not want to compete, but desired a monopoly, as it applies to gaming revenue in their area.

Edited by Stu

D-Ray: I agree that the situation was not simple, but I guarantee that the powers in charge of BD flat did not want to compete, but desired a monopoly, as it applies to gaming revenue in their area.

It isn't a monopoly even as it is.

Stu, I am honestly telling you that you are not fully informed on this topic. You cannot have an argument on something unless you are fully informed. If you wish to research this and discuss again with a full understanding of the details of the situation, I would be more than glad. Not interested to discuss this with you any further until then.

• Like 1

It isn't a monopoly even as it is.

I am saying that is what they 'desire'

You cannot have an argument on something unless you are fully informed.

So, what you are saying is that, for instance, as it applies to DCI you the D-Ray are 'fully' informed about 'all' details, as in you are privy to 'every and all' subject matter within the confines of DCI? And if not, well by your own admission, your arguments concerning DCI are therefore invalid!!

Edited by Stu

I am saying that is what they 'desire'

So, what you are saying is that, for instance, as it applies to DCI you the D-Ray are 'fully' informed about 'all' details, as in you are privy to 'every and all' subject matter within the confines of DCI? And if not, well by your own admission, your arguments concerning DCI are therefore invalid!!

I am well informed.

I am well informed.

You did not say that we have to be well informed, you said that we had to be 'fully' informed for us to have validity to an argument. So, I ask again: are you 'fully' informed concerning everything within the DCI realm?

I didn't think you would give a real answer..

I'm just a guy that sort of digs this sort of thing and wants to see it continue. The way this are headed, it doesn't look good.

I used to be more actively involved (as a kid and working with some corps after aging out), then got out of things for quite some time. Have gotten back into things and have volunteered for several corps across a wide spectrum of geographies and levels, have started up a drum corps myself.

I have no formal affiliation with any one organization.... beyond an occasional volunteer. I'm sometimes invited to discuss different things in more detail due to rather unique professional experience.

That is about as real as could be answered.

........c'est la vie

La vie est un naufrage, mais nous ne devons pas oublier de chanter dans les canots de sauvetage.

You did not say that we have to be well informed, you said that we had to be 'fully' informed for us to have validity to an argument. So, I ask again: are you 'fully' informed concerning everything within the DCI realm?

There are some topics of their own operations that I actually informed them on. For example, prior to preparing and delivering to them, they did not have an actual breakdown of attendance and revenue figures for each show and year on year. The data was out there, they just never bothered to collect this. I put this all together since 1996 from a number of sources and charted show on show performance. I also compared this data with data from individual corps' merchandising revenue (on different performance levels) on a show by show basis. You can pretty much observe that there are clear revenue per attendee figures that can be predicted based on various factors.

Think about that for a second... you are a $10M a year events company... and you have no clue about the details of actual attendance, no observation of year on year trends, how those connect with external factors (I factored in how changes in gas price affected longer distance attendees, etc.).

If you are an events company, this is your bread and butter, this is basic stuff.

Done a lot of stuff like that. Seen actual financials, reviewed agreements, etc.

If I wasn't as informed, I would not have a strong opinion on the matter.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 2

Nope; that is what we in the real world call free-market.

Stu, you do realize the irony here, right?

You are continually going on about free market... but at the same time complain that some corps are getting paid more than others and that some groups should essentially be subsidized because they are not able to raise enough funds.

In the free market, corps are not compensated equally... and only the strongest or smartest survive.

• Like 2