Why no Fan Network Sales Events?

I know we get in a rush to criticize DCI sometimes, so I hasten to add that this really is just a "wondering why" sort of question.

DCI's e-mail today announced a 20% off sale on all video products, across all formats. Well, almost all. As far as I can remember, DCI has never actually run a true sale on their digital products. They occasionally offer bundles at lower prices (which I guess constitutes a sale), but for instance, last week the 1984 DVD was for sale for 20% off of $35.95. However, the digital videos would still cost $47.88. (And for that matter, there is no option to bundle-purchase a given year.)

So my question is - why is that? FN has never seemed to have any sort of sale or promotional program. Does anything affect their pricing, or is it a "set it and forget it" sort of thing? FN does feel like the forgotten child of DCI commerce sometimes.

I guess a second question - why the delay in offering same-year digital products, even as a bundle? If it comes down to paying $29.99 for 2013 CD's or $29.99 for a digitally-downloaded mp3 bundle, I'd take the mp3's any day.

In an age where even Xbox found almost half of their revenue converting to online and digital products, I wonder if Fan Network isn't missing a bet here. Is there some hidden cost to licensing or distribution that we don't know about?

Mike

I guess a second question - why the delay in offering same-year digital products, even as a bundle? If it comes down to paying $29.99 for 2013 CD's or $29.99 for a digitally-downloaded mp3 bundle, I'd take the mp3's any day.

Out of curiosity, why is that? The mp3's are not super-high quality, especially not compared to CD's; it would be MUCH better to buy the CD's & rip the audio at a high bit rate for your own mp3 needs (especially if the price is the same).

I think the way the activity is now-a-days, buying CD's will become a thing of the past: the shows are designed with the over-all package in mind, not just a total music package that can stand on its own.

Besides, with the inexpensive price of FN, you can forgo the hard copies of everything and just go with streaming whatever you want whenever you want.

I used to be REALLY into buying the CD's every year, and then collecting the 'legacy' discs. I have everything from 70's - 2000's. But now entire shelves of CD's have gone un-listened to for years because I can just go to FN and stream the full shows whenever I want.

What I think DCI is doing right, though, is putting out the Champions blu-rays: a sort of "greatest hits" high-def collection of classic shows. I'll buy as many of those as DCI releases!!