Unworthy of leading people

It has come out that the girl met the audition requirements for score, but that he made a judgement call that she was not ready to be in his top ensemble. Hence, the parents getting the superintendent involved. If you say that you have to make a certain score on your audition to make the ensemble and then you "cut" for other reasons that could be viewed as questionable, you are likely to lose that battle as a director. Not saying his reason was good or bad, but obviously it was outside of the scope of the audition for the group.

It has come out that the girl met the audition requirements for score, but that he made a judgement call that she was not ready to be in his top ensemble. Hence, the parents getting the superintendent involved. If you say that you have to make a certain score on your audition to make the ensemble and then you "cut" for other reasons that could be viewed as questionable, you are likely to lose that battle as a director. Not saying his reason was good or bad, but obviously it was outside of the scope of the audition for the group.

If your information turns out to be true, it also shows why making quick judgements without having many, if any, facts based on a single paragraph sound-bite story is a bad move. Immediate information through modern technology, without waiting for verification, is becoming a bane to our society.

• Like 1

That argument has already been made.....

I just enjoy seeing a new topic on here and, while very minimal, it could relate eventually to DC because one of these parents may not like a corps audition results and call into question the results with a lawyer in tow.

• Like 3

A few things, although this story is one that is NOT reported by CNN, but more of a submitted story that could come from anyone. We don't really know the full facts, right? I read about this last night when a band director friend sent me the link, and at that time there were no sources quoted, and no independent verification: the story seemed little more than one part of one side of a story, thus making some of the arguments a bit tenuous at best. Heck, the article has freaking typos, and is fairly poorly written from an english comp standpoint!

That being said:

1) teaching high school bands, it is VERY easy to see sometimes a kid has talent but is not mature enough to 'hang' in rehearsals, or practice upper level literature in a top group. For example, if there is a freshman super star player, it's not necessarily a bad idea to let them develop a little bit in a lower band so that they learn rehearsal etiquette/technique, or even to help ensure that their egos don't go crazy achieving the top band right out of the gate. That is a factor that trained, experienced educators can recognize while a biased, inexperienced person (like an upset parent) might not.

2) in top programs instrumentation is EVERYTHING. I don't know what instrument the student in question plays (I'm at work and the video & comments aren't showing up in the article), but if there are already "too many" of their instrument it's not unheard of for a director to not want to put them in a top band. For example, if there are, say, two oboes already in the group who have experience in the top band AND passed the required audition, and this newer oboe player met the necessary requirement but doesn't have the experience the others have, it is very likely a band director would not want to add another oboe into the mix for balance & intonation issues (you know the popular joke: how do you get two oboes to play in tune? Shoot one of them). That's just an example, but there are a TON of factors as far as instrumentation that might rule out a qualified applicant. The best tuba player in the world might meet the requirements for the NY Phil, but if there is no tuba opening they're not getting the job, you know?

There are so many unknown factors at this time in regards to this story, I think it's kind of unfair to jump to sides either way. However, I'm never excited anytime a Superintendent disregards one of his teachers, especially when the Superintendent's call also goes against The Affirmative Action Director (i.e. the teacher was not found in the wrong legally). It usually does smack of an inexperienced Superintendent who buckles under parental pressure instead of supporting his teachers.

That argument has already been made.....

I just enjoy seeing a new topic on here and, while very minimal, it could relate eventually to DC because one of these parents may not like a corps audition results and call into question the results with a lawyer in tow.

False. Private, non-profit organizations. They could come and threaten all they want, but no judge would hear it.

This has nothing to do with WC corps.

While it is kind of a stretch to connect this story w/WC corps, I would MUCH prefer discussion about this than yet another "best 22nd place corps of all time," or "G7/Hopkins are the devil destroying drum corps" or other garbage DCP is littered with. Intelligent discourse is never a bad thing, even if it's only marginally connected with drum corps.

• Like 3

Y'all want to bash and neg Stu (and I must admit, I've had my moments) but he (and others) has an excellent point.

This "story" lacks a few elements. Like say ... details. And maybe ... sourcing.

:doh:

• Like 1

Y'all want to bash and neg Stu (and I must admit, I've had my moments) but he (and others) has an excellent point.

This "story" lacks a few elements. Like say ... details. And maybe ... sourcing.

:doh:/>/>

I agree. Here's a better story about this http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/high-school-band-discrimination-claims-investigated-1.113235

FWIW I typically find it dubious whenever a teenager starts a complain with "we deserve to be in the top band."

Edited by perc2100