Top 12 Mellophone Openings

also, plan on blue stars being a top 12 corps this summer :)

Reaching a bit there but he or she should be looking at all corps if he/she really thinks they are good enough.

• Like 1

I REALLLYY want to march this summer, but what makes it terrible is I ONLY want to march Top 12.... If anyone could help push me in the right direction of a corps that is in need of a mellophone, It would be much appreciated

Too late.

" Top 12 Corps " have already been determined for 2013, so I " feel terrible " in telling you that you are probably SOOL at this stage.

• Like 1

I ONLY want to march Top 12....

I respect your freedom to make your own decisions, honest I do. But this ONLY wanting to march top 12 mentality is why I really despise the instant gratification culture we have allowed to develop not only in drum corps, but in our entire country. No offense, and please do not take this personally, but here is me hoping that you make a contending corps (which finishes 13th).

• Like 1

Too late.

" Top 12 Corps " have already been determined for 2013, so I " feel terrible " in telling you that you are probably SOOL at this stage.

There occasionally are openings that develop due to injuries and school requirements, but even when those occur, corps generally call those who didn't make the first cut, as they had already tried out and are already known to the staff. There have been exceptions when corps have gone out into the public to find someone, but that's because the ones they tried to call back weren't available and had gone on to do other things, such as commitments to jobs and internships.

Personally if I were a corps director, I'd want someone who wanted my corps because of what the corps is...what it stands for...how it impacts its members, and not because they were choosing my corps because of our placement.

• Like 3

Would your entire season be ruined if you made it into a top-12 corps that fell out of Finals for a year?

That is the classic question...

I was at a show in Pittsburg PA with BAC in 1993 - the corps played a great show on a clear night under a full moon. After retreat the show sponsors threw what amounted to a block party for all the corps. I was just walking around drinking it in, already being an old man (41) and talked to kids from various corps all over the place. It was like tour paradise with kids from all 7 corps mingling and getting to know each other (no cell phones, no FaceBook, not even MySpace). I bumped into some kids from VK and asked "how you guys doing?" One young man responded "I don't know yet." I was sincerely puzzled and asked "You don't know yet? When will you know?" and he replied, dead serious, "When I see if we make finals in 2 weeks." I said, "and if you don't get in, tonight wasn't any fun?" His response, "That's just about the size of it."

I don't think we did that to him, and I don't think he was indicative of most kids, but it was mind-boggling. I had lived through it with the 84 Bridgemen falling out of finals and ending one of the great runs of all times, but many of those kids were still tight, and as awful as that underfunded (unfunded?) tour was it remains one of my great memories.

So, if you get to a finals corps God bless you, but if you can't do this activity unless you're int he top 12, I humbly suggest you're looking for the wrong activity. That's not drum corps.

• Like 3

One's self-esteem should not be proportional to one's placement at the DCI World Championships.

This is one of the best posts I have seen on DCP in a long time...Youth, meet Wisdom; Wisdom, Youth.

• Like 2

To the original poster (Ryan). You have heard all wisdom the Great Oz conglomerate has bestowed on you. What are your thoughts now?? I encourage you to think twice and speak once ;)

To the original poster (Ryan). You have heard all wisdom the Great Oz conglomerate has bestowed on you. What are your thoughts now?? I encourage you to think twice and speak once ;)

The OP poster that started this thread is from the Univ. of Troll.

It was pretty obvious from the getgo too. He's vanished.

Edited by BRASSO

I said the same thing at the beginning of the season. Im aging out I auditioned at a top corps and almost got a callback. They sent me info to other groups and i had about 5 options. Couple in the top 12 and couple outside. I decided id rather go with a group with someone to prove with a bunch of great additions and some people I knew. Its no guarantee ill make finals but im gonna give everything i can to be there saturday night. And just because they were top 12 last year doesnt mean they will be this year.

awesome that you found a place that you wanted to be! have a great season, and we'll all be cheering for you! :thumbup:

The OP poster that started this thread is from the Univ. of Troll.

It was pretty obvious from the getgo too. He's vanished.

Maybe so, but it sure did provide a way for some on here to get more of their daily Greenies!!!!