Your First Car

Missing my first camp at Crossmen because I had alcohol poisoning the day before, so let's just say I missed my flight. Next camp.. it snows in Philly.. plane delayed.. we had to pick up a connection in Houston.. of course we missed it. it was the last plane to San Antonio that night. They couldn't give us our baggage.. and we couldn't fly out until 8 am the next morning? I was traveling with the drum major and the horn captain.. so they kinda had to be there. Luckily.. Hertz rented to 21 year olds (for a price.... but split four ways). Ended up getting to SA at some ridiculous time after the drivers hallucinating and seeing bears slept on the gym floor for a couple of hours (no sleeping bags or anything).. my carry on bag was my pillow.. and woke up a couple hours later to audition for the corps for the first time, wearing someone else's gym shorts (everyone got to know me really well.. I'm a big guy.. the dude I borrowed from WAS NOT) on barely any sleep. Finally got our bags after dinner that day. And the travel nightmare was over.... let me tell you.. I was cursing George for selling the corps that day... I could have just driven to camp 30 min away if I decided to march the year before.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

On my return home from Chicago after aging out, I rode under the rear window of a Ford Pinto hatchback with four others. We all had our luggage, the day was hot, there was no air circulation, and the long sloped window in the hatchback was roasting me. And I don't think it bothered me at all because I was still in shock of aging out after three years in an activity that had already changed my life.

You got a corps member to ride under what looked like your hood? Did their drum sticks fit in there as well?

It was the trunk (engine in rear) - could only talk a 3rd baritone to go in there! ;-)

Edited by amadorj

It was the trunk (engine in rear) - could only talk a 3rd baritone to go in there! ;-)

I just assumed only a drummer would fall for that. :tongue:

On my return home from Chicago after aging out, I rode under the rear window of a Ford Pinto hatchback with four others.

Michael - unfortunately there are no t-shirts available to acknowledge the cramped quarters you had to endure. No one has ever thought to create one saying "I survived the backseat of a Pinto for more than 5 minutes." Those of us who have been exposed to such torture can only salute you. My brother had a Pinto. When he said "you can sit in the back" he meant "you will endure years of chiropractic appointments because it's not meant for a human being."

Edited by LincolnV

Talk? Sounds more like a dare..... :tongue:

Guess no tymp players in your car pool... :ph34r:

Michael - unfortunately there are no t-shirts available to acknowledge the cramped quarters you had to endure. No one has ever thought to create one saying "I survived the backseat of a Pinto for more than 5 minutes." Those of us who have been exposed to such torture can only salute you. My brother had a Pinto. When he said "you can sit in the back" he meant "you will endure years of chiropractic appointments because it's not meant for a human being."

You missed the true gravity of the situation...and how thin I once was. I didn't get to sit in the seat...I was wedged under the window of the hatchback...atop the suitcases in the storage well and directly under the slanted window of the hatchback. If I had passed gas during the ride of slightly more than an hour, the window would have popped out.

Edited by Michael Boo

Hello, all!

I think it's time to lighten up and "bond" a little bit. This started on the G7 thread, and I think it can be a welcome, stand alone discussion. My offering there was this:

_____

Michael,

My first car was a green, four door '61 Rambler. It was 8 years old and cost me $125. Gee, how I loved that push-button transmission! It took me to drum corps practice, not in style, but I still got there! As a bit of a respite, Michael, what was your first car? I'll guess a '49 DeSoto.

Anyone else care to reveal their own first car experience?

_____

Let's hear from you, too!

I guess I should be careful for fear of sounding too sappy, but my first car was a 1961 VW Bug (6 volt system) that I redid the upholstery in and installed a Learjet 8 track system and top of the line speakers.

Drum Corps? I drove 11 people from Oceanside NY to the famous Legion post in Bridgeport CT one fine Spring Day, or maybe summer.

And the music system never sounded right if Diane Delaney were not singing along with it.

Loved that car - loved those days.

You missed the true gravity of the situation...and how thin I once was. I didn't get to sit in the seat...I was wedged under the window of the hatchback...atop the suitcases in the storage well and directly under the slanted window of the hatchback. If I had passed gas during the ride of slightly more than an hour, the window would have popped out.

How the heck did you do that? A Pinto hatchback was never able to carry very much. You had 4 people AND suitcases?