Why do DMs Corps-Hop?

Off the field responsibilities aside (as we've established that varies greatly between corps), there is no more high-pressure position on the field than drum major/conductor.

Drum majors cannot make mistakes, and in the event that they do, they *must* know how to react and recover immediately. In today's incredibly refined, tempo accurate drum corps, a drum major erring by just one or two beats per minute can completely destroy his corps' performance. He has to have telepathic-like communications skills with the percussion section. When things do go off the rails, even if it's not his fault, he has to understand how to repair the show on the fly. This is a skill that is incredibly difficult to learn, let alone master. Drum majors cannot have a "bad day" in rehearsal. If they do, they sure has heck better not show it, or the instructional staff will eat him for lunch (and rightly so).

Being the drum major of a competitive drum corps is, despite the public face, easily the most thankless and tiring job there is as a performer in this activity. It's also incredibly rewarding, as long as you're not the guy screwing up.

What he said.

So, if Brasso and Kamarag are accurate, and I think they are in the above comment, why hop from corps to corps, sometimes from the frying pan into the fire?

So, if Brasso and Kamarag are accurate, and I think they are in the above comment, why hop from corps to corps, sometimes from the frying pan into the fire?

Some want a different environment or different set of responsibilities...

Either going to another corps to learn more or get a different level or experience... or go to a group where they might have a more expanded role.

As Sam mentioned, a lot of times, it is a pretty rough gig... and a lot to handle for a 19-20 year old kid.

Some people aren't satisfied with stagnation, mediocrity, or simply being comfortable. Some people want to excel, and maybe be the best in the world at what they do. They may have reached a point where they want to learn from different people and get a different corps experience. This isn't restricted to drum majors, obviously. It just describes a few reasons why people might want to switch corps.

It's not now, nor has it ever been a "loyalty" issue. People that call others disloyal are usually disgruntled because they were left behind.

• Like 2

It's not now, nor has it ever been a "loyalty" issue. People that call others disloyal are usually disgruntled because they were left behind.

Concur.

People are looking for some common thread. I'd wager there are 10 different stories for each of the 10 MMs mentioned by the OP.

The attempt to impune the character of today's marchers (by describing them as disloyal) is at best a cheap shot. I suspect most (all?) of the people taking these shots are limited to sitting behind their PC and occasionally showing up at a local contest to ##### and moan the entire time , never interacting with current marching members at all.

If you're around the kids AT ALL you'd know that what's truly great about this activity is still alive and very well thank you.

DCP at it's finest (again).doh.gif

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Concur.

People are looking for some common thread. I'd wager there are 10 different stories for each of the 10 MMs mentioned by the OP.

The attempt to impune the character of today's marchers (by describing them as disloyal) is at best a cheap shot. I suspect most (all?) of the people taking these shots are limited to sitting behind their PC and occasionally showing up at a local contest to ##### and moan the entire time , never interacting with current marching members at all.

If you're around the kids AT ALL you'd know that what's truly great about this activity is still alive and very thank you.

DCP at it's finest (again).doh.gif

I have to agree with this---wholeheartedly. At 53 years old, it would be easy for me to sit back and judge today's members. But, I have the luxury of knowing many of them. As a group, they are more musically capable and athletic than corps members from my era. Still, they have a great deal in common with those "legacy" members with whom I marched. Dedication, perseverence, and work ethic all come to mind. I am the first person to criticize today's youth in general for being too shallow and tech-obsessed, but by the very nature of drum corps, this doesn't apply to drum corps members. They gladly give up constant cell phone/texting/facebook to spend hours every day in the hot sun, and many of them spend much of their winter actually working hard to be able to pay for the priviledge~

As to the specific reason why kids corps-hop, I suspect that it is an individual choice. Boston generally loses less than a handful of kids to other corps each year (with 2008 being the exception due to an entire management changeover). All each corps can do is provide the best experience possible for their members. For the record, BAC lost 5 kids to the 27th Lancers in the winter of 1980, because those kids simply wanted to win. Then, BD won. Did those others have regrets? I have no idea, but it makes the point that corps hopping is nothing new.

• Like 3

People that call others disloyal are usually disgruntled because they were left behind.

The other points I leave aside; this one is cynical.

One, it assumes that any MM who stays with a corps instead secretly wishes to move to a new corps. This is not true of all, or even most, MMs who stay with one corps. There are plenty of MMs who believe they get more out of their DCI career dedicating themselves to helping their corps be the best it can be. They derive their satisfaction in the activity from contributing to the good of the corps, not from their personal resume. There are actually people like this, and they are to be valued as much as any other MM.

Two, it dismisses the reality that there is such a thing in the world as loyalty, and therefore, disloyalty. It unfairly besmirches any MM wise enough to recognize disloyalty when he or she sees it.

By the same token, not every MM who moves to a different corps is disloyal. There are circumstances and distinctions. The MMs who stick with their corps -- even those who have just cause to consider someone who left as disloyal -- understand this, and shouldn't be dismissed as hapless wannabes who can't cut it.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

The MMs who stick with their corps -- even those who have just cause to consider someone who left as disloyal -- understand this, and shouldn't be dismissed as hapless wannabes who can't cut it.

You're reading into what I said. If someone wants to march with the same corps for multiple years, more power to them. But I can tell you from first-hand experience on a number of different occasions that the crowd hurling the "disloyal" tag is almost always bitter. It happened to me when I changed corps as a member, and I've seen it over and over (and squashed it each and ever time) while teaching.

When I teach corps I make it a *major* point to instruct my students that they should embrace people that move on to other corps, especially if it's a move up. Holding a grudge against someone for changing corps is a stupid waste of energy. Drum corps operate on a series of one-year contracts. The end of the season means the corps and the member have fulfilled the terms of the contract and are free to sdo whatever they want the following year.

Now, if you *really* want to talk about disloyal members, look no further than the people that have quit corps mid-season only to magically appear in another corps later than same year. I'm not talking winter...I mean during the summer. It's rare in DCI, but my god it happens in DCA more then some are willing to admit.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

There are plenty people with mind set that if you leave, you are hurting each member you marched with. You are hurting the corps. That is one less vet to give that extra consistency that might give you that extra tenth to move up a spot. or whatever else. I know there are people who are VERY against corps hopping. I know some staff members who were very vocal about it, and took it personally.

For me? I don't know. In my marching experience.. I could understand why someone would want to go somewhere else. If I marched the past couple of years in my corps, why would you want to leave that? But still... I can't get mad. I wish people would stay... but ya know what? You have to give them a reason to stay. Obviously if they want to leave that much the corps: admin, staff, didn't do what was necessary to make you want to stay with that corps. Yes it is hard to compete with Crown, BD, Cavies, SCV, Phantom, Cadets. But you have to have to work on raising the level of your product consistently to get people to stay. These corps can't move up, because their product is not consistent, or just not fun enough to march there. I've never marched in finals... but knowing people who have marched in finals... they say semis can't even compare. It's an awesome experience. The crowd is huge for the first corps on, and the energy is great. And within the top 12.. ya know it probably gets old finishing between 7-9 EVERY YEAR. Yeah it's not all about placement... but for some it is a big deal. Not everyone is in it for the great experience and bus wars. Humans love competition!

I guess to sum it up, I love corps loyalty. But I can't expect everyone to feel the same way as me about my corps. Everyone has different experiences or they want different experiences. I wish you would stay, but seriously have a great time! See ya on tour!

• Like 2

No argument from me re those who leave during the middle of a season. That is the height of disloyalty.

Nor do I doubt your experience and observations. And I think your standing message to MMs is spot on. But your OP did not say "If someone wants to march with the same corps for multiple years, more power to them." Maybe you meant to convey such a thought, but all I can go from is the the words on the screen. Your OP said something different, something that characterizes those who remain with a single corps as bitter, lesser talents. That is a brush too broad.

• Like 1