SCV or C2?

In these “marking time” weeks while we await viewing first field performances of the 2013 season, imagine that you are one of the top visual design staffers of these corps.

Both Santa Clara Vanguard and Cadets2 are riding the popularity of the stage show and film of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. Both have the challenge of taking this popular music, already done on the field by ’89 Cadets 1, Sunrisers, and DCE’s Clonmel Bluehawks from Ireland amongst others and making it come alive again. Speculate on what you might include in the show so that we feel as if we are experiencing Les Miz for the very first time EVER!

For instance, will the podium people stay in character and give commands en francais?

Will Santa Clara, at least in the pit, doff the aussies for berets, similar to the Cossack caps they wore for the Russian show?

Would the guards use silks similar to how Bobby Hoffman had the Cadets’ guard in ‘89 use what looked like a French tri-color but also included a stripe of orange and another of yellow as to not disrespect the national color of another country?

How might YOU present it?

(Note however, one wouldn’t use the Eiffel Tower, either on a flag or even in a living drill formation like what Euponitone did so well with his young corps from Brittany, France previously. Why not? It would be anachronistic. Les Miz takes place in the 1840’s; the Eiffel Tower wasn’t built until 40 years later.)

What would you do to tweak the presentation?

Be imaginative! ... Weber and Sacktig might be listening!

I would use firearms with live rounds. :ph34r:

• Like 3

As long as C2 does the flag toss to the DM, I'll be happy :-)

• Like 3

I think C2 and SCV are on different competitive planes.

C2 will probably be lambasted (by some) if they don't do "similar" things as they did in 89, since that seems to be their formula. Of course it'll be a new twist, but after seeing last year's show I think they will keep the "basics" of their championship show.I could be wrong, and personally hope they go astray of their tradition and go all out.

SCV, on the other hand, doesn't often use props or gimmicks. I think they'll focus on the storyline and the music. They could go really dark with some things.

I just wonder if they expect the audience knows the storyline and act it out, or if they'll give us all something a bit different and actually make it sensible to everyone, young and old.

The challenge is telling such an in-depth story in such a short time period.

I predict they both end with a death scene :)

I think C2 and SCV are on different competitive planes.

C2 will probably be lambasted (by some) if they don't do "similar" things as they did in 89, since that seems to be their formula. Of course it'll be a new twist, but after seeing last year's show I think they will keep the "basics" of their championship show.I could be wrong, and personally hope they go astray of their tradition and go all out.

SCV, on the other hand, doesn't often use props or gimmicks. I think they'll focus on the storyline and the music. They could go really dark with some things.

I just wonder if they expect the audience knows the storyline and act it out, or if they'll give us all something a bit different and actually make it sensible to everyone, young and old.

The challenge is telling such an in-depth story in such a short time period.

I predict they both end with a death scene :)

What no SCV props?

How about the Scheherazade tent?

the chair for the Phantom of the Opera shows?

the tunnel for the famous change of corps' pants mid-show?

etc., etc.

You may want to rethink that statement. And yes, I realize that different staffs did populate at different times. Same corps however.

• Like 5

At least not since the late 80's. I think one of the corps will create a barricade in some fashion.

At least not since the late 80's. I think one of the corps will create a barricade in some fashion.

Scheherazade was 2005, wasn't it?

You may mean that Weber doesn't often use props like Myron and others did at SCV. yes?

SCV, on the other hand, doesn't often use props or gimmicks.

I've loved lots of SCV shows over the years, and some of them were chock full of clever" props and gimmicks" on the field to supplement the theme and / or the music.

Edited by BRASSO

I've loved lots of SCV shows over the years, and some of them were chock full of clever" props and gimmicks" on the field to supplement the theme and / or the music.

I meant to say that the current staff doesn't seem to use them

Don't get me wrong, I just like a good show, props or no props. I even use props quite often in my shows to convey the theme. It is technically a gimmick which by (one of it's) definitions is "an ingenious or novel device or stratagem, esp. one used to draw attention or increase appeal; stunt; ploy". Of course there are negative connotations as well so I guess I should also apologize if one assumes by "gimmick" I meant "A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus" rather than what I actually meant.

Then again drum corps is often a gamble :tongue: