SCV or C2?

If either of them are looking to emulate the movie, they'll feature two important things:

1. All soloists will jump into the stands and play their horns so close to the faces of unlucky audience members that they'll leave imprints of their bells.

2. A horn player performing hideously out of tune and well beyond the natural range of their instrument, whose sound can best be described as that of an angry walrus kicked in the 'nads for any of Javert's (Russel Crowe's) songs.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 2

All I know is that I'm super pumped to hear both of these shows since I am an absolute HUGE fan of Les Mis. I'm excited to see what C2 does with it and am thrilled to watch SCV and to see how they interpret it! I heard SCV might be using actors or guard members to portray some of the main characters, but again I just heard that so it might not be true...

Edited by bassdj

A lurker emailed me privately with these comments which I thought worth posting:

1. Will head chopper moves in these shows now be known as "le guillotine"???

2. Cadets 2 announced their show on the Cadets website with the heading "Les Cadets Deux"

3. This needs some clarification from Space Park headquarters:

For the 2013 season, what is the proper response of the audience/fans/alumni to shout mid-show: Les Vanguard!, Le Vanguard (a thing of strength and power), or is it La Vanguard (a thing of beauty and awe) ???

Well, this season is certainly looking like it will have this "Je ne sais quoi..."

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 2

Vanguard will fill our summer days with endless wonder.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 1

This is a fun question. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve seen or read Les Miz so I’d have to refresh before I could put my spin on show design about all I got would be big buckets of chum in the pit to recreate the sewer smell – I don’t recall any corps going after the olfactory sense, might give a GE bump

I’m excited to see both takes on this show and expect them to be very different. Cadets did an amazing job in 1989 and I expect this will be the template for C2’s show but with many changes. SCV were the masters of bringing Broadway to the field and that was one of my favorite phases for them. I’d really love to see them work that again

It will be interesting to see 2 different takes on the same material, sort of like drum corps compulsories

Another one of lurkers emailed me that the opening of both shows may be quite different as the DMs stay in character to set the mood.

As I am picturing in my mind what the person proposed, it seems rather daring and humorous.

To the question "Is the corps ready?", the SCV DM runs to the nearest female field judge, takes her hand, kisses it and says, "Enchantez!"

If this gets the desired effect, then they will up the ante at Indy and Regionals by running over to Brandt Crocker, and in typical French greeting, give him a peck on both cheeks.

Ah, with Regiment, Troopers, Vanguard...Brandt is like family.:rolleyes:/>/>/>

I think such an attempt would certainly result in Fran Haring's proposal (cf. post #2) "I would use firearms with live rounds. :ph34r:/>/>/>"

Edited by normy diploome

If either of them are looking to emulate the movie, they'll feature two important things:

1. All soloists will jump into the stands and play their horns so close to the faces of unlucky audience members that they'll leave imprints of their bells.

Lol; for sure!

I absolutely LOATHED the Les Mis film from 2012. I hated how awful it was directed because of all of the constant extreme close-ups. I wanted to yell at the screen "THERE'S AN AWESOME SET BEHIND THE SINGER: FEEL FREE TO PAN OUT AND FRAME YOUR SHOTS TO INCLUDE THE SET!"

• Like 1

Lol; for sure!

I absolutely LOATHED the Les Mis film from 2012. I hated how awful it was directed because of all of the constant extreme close-ups. I wanted to yell at the screen "THERE'S AN AWESOME SET BEHIND THE SINGER: FEEL FREE TO PAN OUT AND FRAME YOUR SHOTS TO INCLUDE THE SET!"

Any inference that the poster is alluding to the current DCI pattern to skip the drill moves so as to feature the pit and podium people is merely coincidental... just saying...

• Like 1