DCI needs to learn...

A thought:

I would suggest that a large reason Punkin Chunkin is on TV is that they are 'likely' NOT paying to broadcast that event on TV... Science Channel is likely seeking out the activity as something SCIENC-Y and is therefore not charging PC for airtime... in fact, it's very well possible that Science is donating to PC to be featured on TV. DCI does not necessarily fit into ESPN the same way that PC fits into Science Channel.

Past that, the PC competition is broadcast on rerun after rerun for weeks after the event is over. DCI got one time slot, one rebroadcast, and then was never heard from again on ESPN, despite what I hear was a decent TV viewership number.

This tells me that ESPN never fully bought into the DCI broadcast. Hell, the cheerleading and lumberjack competitions get many multiple replays. Hey, anyone ever argued with someone over whether marching band is a sport?

Honestly, I cringed a few times watching that broadcast and listening to Reliable Rondo try to blur the line between what us DCI fans wanted to hear said on the air and what I KNEW the average sports fan was thinking listening to those Rondo interludes. At that time I told my wife, "I think this may be better if they brought ESPN anchors in to give some commentary."

Still now... I think the broadcast may have been better if DCI had said, "Here's some info on the groups, call it like you see it, just don't ever say the words [Drumline the Movie] or [This one time at band camp] together. Other than that, have fun, talk us up, and remember it's about the kids."

While it was cool to see DCI on ESPN, and cool to be in Foxborough and see the ESPN banners hanging up on the field, I'm just not sure ESPN is the answer. This is coming from a DCI alumni, rabid sports fan, ESPN junkie, Colts season-tix holder, and high school band director wrapped in one :)