The True Madison Scouts

I know I will catch a lot of flack for this. and it is just an old phart's opinion. But to me, a long time fan of good ole' fashioned

Drum Corps entertainment, the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps ceased to exist in 2002, when Scott Stewart was forced

to retire. Now did he do everything right? No. But he at least offered and promoted a sane approach to sustainable Drum and Bugle Corps.

But this isn't about him, it's about one of my favorite Corps - the Madison Scouts. They were unique in their entertaining approach, and they

were a true leader - or a rebel if you like - in that they never appeased the judging community, nor did they give a crap about what

"the beautiful people" thought. They just went out there and kicked arse! Ever since then, they have been (in my opinion) simply the Madison Corps.

Many people still love them - and they have had a couple shows that I've liked (not loved) - but they haven't been anything like the bad-arse, take no prisoners

corps that they used to be. They aren't leading anymore, they are just playing the game, jumping through hoops...and allowing the activity (and themselves)

to morph further and further into a homogenized WGI/Marching Band hybrid. Now granted, if they had kept Stewart and stayed true to themselves, they

would have continued to slide into eventual non-existence, but at least they would have remained true and pure.

• Like 1

I'm not going to give you flack..no reason as this is simply your opinion. Fair enough.

My opinion is that anyone who has worn the Superman Suit is a Madison Scout..1938..1978.. 1998... 2013. They are my brothers now as they were then.

CM

I know I will catch a lot of flack for this. and it is just an old phart's opinion. But to me, a long time fan of good ole' fashioned

Drum Corps entertainment, the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps ceased to exist in 2002, when Scott Stewart was forced

to retire. Now did he do everything right? No. But he at least offered and promoted a sane approach to sustainable Drum and Bugle Corps.

But this isn't about him, it's about one of my favorite Corps - the Madison Scouts. They were unique in their entertaining approach, and they

were a true leader - or a rebel if you like - in that they never appeased the judging community, nor did they give a crap about what

"the beautiful people" thought. They just went out there and kicked arse! Ever since then, they have been (in my opinion) simply the Madison Corps.

Many people still love them - and they have had a couple shows that I've liked (not loved) - but they haven't been anything like the bad-arse, take no prisoners

corps that they used to be. They aren't leading anymore, they are just playing the game, jumping through hoops...and allowing the activity (and themselves)

to morph further and further into a homogenized WGI/Marching Band hybrid. Now granted, if they had kept Stewart and stayed true to themselves, they

would have continued to slide into eventual non-existence, but at least they would have remained true and pure.

If we're just looking at on-field product, then sure, 2002 was the end of an era. 2003 saw a huge turnover in staff, new "attitude" etc. I don't think, though, I'd go so far to say those 2003-6 shows (I think it's fair to say that 2007-09 was its' own era) aren't "real" Madison fan-favored productions.

That 2003 show in particular had a brilliantly matched set of tunes (Benoit Jutras/Cirque du Soleil) that many, many bands (and some DCI corps) have used since. 2004 was, musically at least, directly based on 1988's formula of show programming and 2005 (Carmen Project) brought the house down wherever they went.

Mike

With all due respect, what do you know of the organization? Did you march with the Madison Scouts? If you had, ESPECIALLY under the Scott Stewart years as I did, then you would not feel this way. I wonder when people spout off about a corps they were not a member of, if they even marched at all.

As an alum of this organization I have completely disagree with your opinions and thoughts on my beloved corps. For one, any of us that did march under Scott would accept our brothers from 2012 the same as we would our brothers from 1938.

Has the activity changed, absolutely, but then every corps has changed.

You must not have seen the corps in recent years, if you did, you know that what Jim Mason, Dann Peterson, Chris Komnick, Jeff Spanos, etc. are doing things to keep the corps moving forward, and they are succeeding. I cried as hard with pride at finals last years as much as I did the night I aged out, maybe more.

If you're going to say this stuff, know what you're talking about. Was Scott pushed out, YES. Did the director that followed him almost bankrupt the corps, YES, did people come in after in 2007 and help to rebuild the corps to make them relevant again, and financially responsible, and entertaining, YES, and through all the years that have followed Scott's departure, regardless of the ups and downs of the last 10 years have there been fans and alums that are still proud to call themselves Madison Scouts, YES.

So, from one alum, the 2003-present-future, ARE Madison Scouts and will ALWAYS be Madison Scouts.

Don't claim to know who or what the corps is unless you lived it.

• Like 4

With all due respect, what do you know of the organization? Did you march with the Madison Scouts? If you had, ESPECIALLY under the Scott Stewart years as I did, then you would not feel this way. I wonder when people spout off about a corps they were not a member of, if they even marched at all.

As an alum of this organization I have completely disagree with your opinions and thoughts on my beloved corps. For one, any of us that did march under Scott would accept our brothers from 2012 the same as we would our brothers from 1938.

Has the activity changed, absolutely, but then every corps has changed.

You must not have seen the corps in recent years, if you did, you know that what Jim Mason, Dann Peterson, Chris Komnick, Jeff Spanos, etc. are doing things to keep the corps moving forward, and they are succeeding. I cried as hard with pride at finals last years as much as I did the night I aged out, maybe more.

If you're going to say this stuff, know what you're talking about. Was Scott pushed out, YES. Did the director that followed him almost bankrupt the corps, YES, did people come in after in 2007 and help to rebuild the corps to make them relevant again, and financially responsible, and entertaining, YES, and through all the years that have followed Scott's departure, regardless of the ups and downs of the last 10 years have there been fans and alums that are still proud to call themselves Madison Scouts, YES.

So, from one alum, the 2003-present-future, ARE Madison Scouts and will ALWAYS be Madison Scouts.

Don't claim to know who or what the corps is unless you lived it.

Not claiming to know anything. Just voicing my opinion - like I stated clearly in my original message. I also never claimed to march anywhere. I am

simply a fan. And good for you, that you still consider the 2013 members your brothers. I have seen the Corps since Jim and his MEG people have taken

over...I have liked (not loved) these shows - and to me, they are WAY better and more "Madison-esque" than the 2003-2006 offerings. But I just don't get

into them the way I did with the legendary shows of the 80s and 90s. But at the same time, I do not like what the Blue Devils and Santa Clara have

become since around 1994....they used to play actual music. Not so much anymore. Now they play "dark tones"...."But at least the dogs are happy". (Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference, lol)

Edited by Nine White Russians

Not claiming to know anything. Just voicing my opinion - like I stated clearly in my original message. I also never claimed to march anywhere. I am

simply a fan. And good for you, that you still consider the 2013 members your brothers. I have seen the Corps since Jim and his MEG people have taken

over...I have liked (not loved) these shows - and to me, they are WAY better and more "Madison-esque" than the 2003-2006 offerings. But I just don't get

into them the way I did with the legendary shows of the 80s and 90s. But at the same time, I do not like what the Blue Devils and Santa Clara have

become since around 1994....they used to play actual music. Not so much anymore. Now they play "dark tones"...."But at least the dogs are happy". (Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference, lol)

I have to agree with much of what you just wrote, at the same time, I don't see the need to have an entire thread devoted to your opinion about the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps no longer being the Madison Scouts.

It's one thing to not like the shows as much, it's another to say that they should not be called the Madison Scouts because you simply don't like the shows as much.

That would be like fans of the Cadets saying they aren't the Cadets anymore, or the Cavaliers aren't the Cavaliers anymore because to be honest with you, those 2, plus BD and others have jumped ship compared to what they used to be, even more than Madison has in the last 10-11 years.

I mean, the Bluecoats used to play great big band jazz in the 80's and 90's and I liked them more, but it's a different activity now, and needs to be if it's going to stay alive.

I am honestly glad Madison has worked to stay relevant, because honestly, it would be a sad world if they were not around anymore.

I guess it is better to stay alive than to fold....but jeez, I wish Stewart would have stuck around,

and perhaps delivered his good message with a little more "honey" rather than be contentious and alienate himself...and I wish those who

have led the activity down this path would have been a little more open minded to his point of view....but now here we are, and Corps have

to compromise to stay relevant. I look at other music activities and they have never had to be "relevant" or evolve to stay relevant....look at

the Chicago Symphony and the Boston Pops....they still play the classics and people come out in droves to see them....I would imagine very

few people - even music critics - turn up their noses to those groups and pan them for their efforts!

I have to agree with much of what you just wrote, at the same time, I don't see the need to have an entire thread devoted to your opinion about the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps no longer being the Madison Scouts.

It's one thing to not like the shows as much, it's another to say that they should not be called the Madison Scouts because you simply don't like the shows as much.

That would be like fans of the Cadets saying they aren't the Cadets anymore, or the Cavaliers aren't the Cavaliers anymore because to be honest with you, those 2, plus BD and others have jumped ship compared to what they used to be, even more than Madison has in the last 10-11 years.

I mean, the Bluecoats used to play great big band jazz in the 80's and 90's and I liked them more, but it's a different activity now, and needs to be if it's going to stay alive.

I am honestly glad Madison has worked to stay relevant, because honestly, it would be a sad world if they were not around anymore.

Edited by Nine White Russians

Now granted, if they had kept Stewart and stayed true to themselves, they would have continued to slide into eventual non-existence, but at least they would have remained true and pure.

Your last line certainly accents how clueless you are. Talk about being totally out of touch with what it takes and what it means to be a drum corps. The Madison Scouts members that held things together when things were tough like in the late 60's and late 2000's are the Scouts that I most admire. Yes the 75 and 88 corps brought the trophy home but it was the members and the fans who stuck with the Scouts in the lean years that made that happen. 75 years is a great accomplishment. Whether you happen to enjoy shows from this year or that year it is the members and the brotherhood that means so much more than what tunes were played at any given time. A "true" Madison Scout is any member who has put on the uniform and marched on the field. If you don't understand that you don't understand the Madison Scouts. I personally hope I'm still around in 25 years to enjoy their 100th year on the field. Long live the Madison Scouts!

Edited by bass5
  • Like 1