Spring Training 2013

Or in other words, BD had more days (and nights) devoted solely to practice and refining the show than those other corps mentioned who devoted more time to travelling and prepping for individual contests in addition to the length of Spring Training as a variable.

Sure.

But then again, I think that the reason there is competitive placement inertia over the years has much less to do with when Corps practice as do many other factors that have a much more influential bearing than when they start Spring Camps.

Edited by BRASSO

Sure.

But then again, I think that the reason there is competitive placement inertia over the years has much less to do with when Corps practice as do many other factors that have a much more influential bearing than when they start Spring Camps.

I agree to a small extent.

Rather than seeing these factors as black or white, either/or dynamics, I see them as various facets of one diamond.

At times, one facet is featured more than others, but all facets are present.

Maybe some corps need to compete more in order to get another pay check.

this is definitely true.

that said, surely we won't want to encourage corps to perform fewer shows...

i'm not saying BD should perform more, but if some of those other corps performed the same amount as BD, the DCI tour would be worse.

Edited by soccerguy315

holy cow its may and corps move in soon. which means...

SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!!!!

• Like 2

You have to take into account the number of shows on the west coast as well and then the trek for BD and SCV (and others) halfway across the country to get to the rest of the shows too. I would be curious as to the number of shows SCV competed in compared to BD.

That's NC, not SC.

Thanks.

We New Englanders aren't quite sure where one ends and the other begins, except for the Civil War.

Besides, Crown is bi-, like the Cadets: 2 States (SC/NC) and (NJ/PA) ;-)

You have to take into account the number of shows on the west coast as well and then the trek for BD and SCV (and others) halfway across the country to get to the rest of the shows too. I would be curious as to the number of shows SCV competed in compared to BD.

Its a good question.

A quick research for the answers for this and we find that SCV participated in 32 shows last season ( 5 more than BD). The Boston Crusaders went to the West Coast last season and competed in 35 shows ( 8 more than BD). Additionally, Carolina Crown will be touring the West Cost this season and will be in 35 shows this season. Thus, I think its fair to conclude from this that the geography of the travel is not impactful on this. My guess is that 27 shows was sufficient for BD because their resources allow it. Futhermore, allowing oneself to practice more while others are competing, positions that Corps better among its mix of talent level Corps. And, they know that this formula, among others they employ organizationally, works for them. Whatever we want to say about BD, its fair to say that they generally are the cleanest in execution come Finals week.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

For the 2013 season, SCV will compete in 28 DCI contests plus the 3 appearences at Indianapolis: 31

BD will compete in 25 DCI contests plus the 3 appearences at Indianapolis: 28

CC, also West this year, will compete in 31 DCI contests plus the 3 appearences at Indianapolis: 34

HNC will compete in 30 DCI contests plus the 3 appearences at Indianapolis: 33

Therefore, since BD is starting a week earlier than everyone and has 5 fewer contests, they essentually have 2 more weeks than most built into their practice schedules. Your comment is of interest but not influential.