Preseason Performances

I don't think there's a trend towards fewer tubas -- most corps still march (or want to march ) 16.

I'm not so sure about that. I know Boston could have easily gone with 16 for this season, but decided on 12 and a larger Guard. I'm pretty sure that if the Cadets decided to go with 16 for this seasaon, they certainly could have done so as well. I do see a trend toward smaller Contra lines, and I do think it has more to do with design choices rather than the inability to find the 4 or so extra sufficiently talented people for this section. But who knows, its just speculation I'm making on this too.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not so sure about that. I know Boston could have easily gone with 16 for this season, but decided on 12 and a larger Guard. I'm pretty sure that if the Cadets decided to go with 16 for this seasaon, they certainly could have done so as well. I do see a trend toward smaller Contra lines, and I do think it has more to do with design choices rather than the inability to find the 4 or so extra sufficiently talented people for this section. But who knows, its just speculation I'm making on this too.

I do agree with you there. I have a feeling that (12C+1Synth)+4CG > 16C in today's DCI math.

Mike

• Like 4

Wow!!! Sweet Georgia Brown....that will be one of those moments everyone loves!!SOA will be a favorite!! I love Crossmen, but man their show reminds me of a great high school band show!! They sound great though.

When The Cadets won their last DCI title 2 years ago in 2011, they went out with 16 Contra Basses ( or " Tubas" if one prefers ). This year their practices here in June ( and as recently as yesterday) are showing 10 Contras. Is this a show design change decision for them this season one would presume ? I do see a trend of late of Corps going out with less Contras than a couple of years ago. Madison Scouts went out with 20 Contras 2 years ago, and most others had 16 or so. ( although BD has routinely gone out with 12 ). Is this perhaps because the Finals are indoors and staffs believe now that 10-12 are more than sufficient in an indoor Finals ? Or what can we attribute the reason why the 30% reduction in many elite Corps size of their Contras line ?

Synths, imo.