All's well that ends well

I agree with the poster who mentioned Cadets 2011 "Angels and Demons." Objectively I found it to be one of the Cadets' most ambitious shows. I saw Cadets about a week before prelims and didn't expect to see Cadets in the top spot and thought Crown or Phantom could gain momentum and Cadets could be 4th or 5th. Clearly I was wrong, and while I saw a limited version of the show at Big, Live, and Loud, I was amazed at how much Cadets improved in such a short period, proving it's not over until it's over.

However, I am surprised no one has mentioned the 1979 27th Lancers. Of the corps that placed in the top 15 at prelims, all but two (Troopers and Freelancers) had topped 27th at least once that season. While the potential was evident even early on, most probably expected they would have placed between 7th-10th, not 5th.

Cadets 1992...It was a very rough recruiting year,and the corps went in a completely different direction playing Holsinger for the first time. I remember stories about Hopkins sitting in winter camps thinking they wouldn't be top six. He also told the story of how they got better every night finals week and really had a chance to go from 6th to 1st that week. Came up one spot short, but definite overachievers given the initial talent level of the corps.

Turns out it is one of the best Cadets shows ever, especially for a design and innovation standpoint if not performance. The reason I marched there for 3 years.