Crown Rehersal Thoughts, Among Other Things

Nice comments. Regarding this point:

Do you think audience members who don't know the source material--i.e., almost everyone--will feel this way?

I think the production is engaging enough that it will draw you in even *if* you wonder why the narration is going on.

Arm chair analysts will complain but I think most audience members will just not care -- the performance draws in you in regardless. It's pretty powerful.

Is the design element worth the risk? I think so. But if it hurts them competitively, it's not a big rewrite to drop it.

Just got back from watching Crown rehearse, will get to that in a minute. Have a few things to say to everyone on DCP first.

• We need to remember that shows are designed to be seen live, not in a video. There are SO many things you will not notice unless you see it live, as I came to once again realize today. See it live, then make your judgement.

This this this.

The video *misses* the show. You have to see it live.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

This this this.

The video *misses* the show. You have to see it live.

Totally, I think that goes for any show, but it goes for this one more than any other show I've seen live going to San Antonio the past 2 years. There are so many little details, visuals, and even one part of the actual playing of the music (that I won't give away, it's right after the drum break and before the ballad, so that narrows it down) that had me and the guys I was with absolutely eating out of our hands because it was so cool and relateable to the theory of relativity. This thing, you will NOT notice unless you're sitting in the stands along with others.

I'm not saying this show is perfect, I'm not saying there doesn't need to be any tweaking, but I'm saying they're doing things you need to see live.

Edited by DrumManTx

Thanks for the wonderful update. You nailed it about having to see all of these programs live vs vids to sense the overall power, emotion and the little nuisances that great programs have. It will also be fun for you seeing it preseason, how the program develops over the season. Thanks again!

No point in gettig hung up over the source material, come August we'll know it as well as music from any other year.

100% true about seeing it live, makes all the difference.

If they can drum better & the staff have made their drill a little easier to polish then who knows... they won't be far away.

• Like 1

Just got back from watching Crown rehearse, will get to that in a minute. Have a few things to say to everyone on DCP first.

• We need to remember that shows are designed to be seen live, not in a video. There are SO many things you will not notice unless you see it live, as I came to once again realize today. See it live, then make your judgement.
  • I think we more often than not forget that these groups are comprised of people doing something they absolutely love, with a staff behind them that does as well. Next time you're writing your trash comment (not directed at everyone), think about the fact that these young men and ladies, regardless of the show, are doing something absolutely incredible and greater than anything they themselves can do alone. You don't have to like the show, just be respectful in how you word your criticism.
  • If you are a parent and your kid is doing this, you should be absolutely out of your mind proud of them. They are inspiring kids like me and reminded me today why I love this activity so much. It's a group of amazing people doing amazing things under amazing circumstances. Have some respect for that. I could care less what you all think about the activity, I wouldn't by a long shot say the activity is dying after today when it made me feel how it did.

Hat's off to you sir......particularly for the bolded comments. This will be an epic year for certain in that more than one corps competing for the title will be sporting show designs that will challenge the audience to pay attention "everywhere" on the field and perhaps shock our senses. CC's competitor from the west coast has been doing this for half a decade now...and bearing the full brunt of the slings and arrows...now it's very refreshing to hear someone else say "there are SO many things you will not notice unless you see it live" (particularly from my friend corpsband :cool:/>).

Also, your comments about crass criticism are very welcome. Criticism...yes (no one is suggesting that everyone should like these shows), but make the criticisms with some grace, lest we end up throwing vegetables and fruit like in that Paris theater 100 years ago.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

Thanks for the wonderful update. You nailed it about having to see all of these programs live vs vids to sense the overall power, emotion and the little nuisances that great programs have. It will also be fun for you seeing it preseason, how the program develops over the season. Thanks again!

Agree. Drum corps on video is mostly effective at bringing back the memory of the live experience. It's not close to a substitute.

Crown -- lately at least -- is playing with the whole field (visually and musically) all the time now, using space for different effects. You literally can not capture the show with a camera.

• Like 1

I think my favorite part of the rehersal was when they were rehearsing the last few sets. They had done a few reps, they were REALLY pumping out the volume in the closer. The staff then says "That was kinda loud...". LOL

Another thing about yesterday, just watching how they rehearse, say things, and do things, it was definetely a learning experience as I'm headed into the fall to start working with my first high school group. Definetely going to quote some things from yesterday (I'll give the staff credit, don't worry). :cool:

Edited by DrumManTx

Agree. Drum corps on video is mostly effective at bringing back the memory of the live experience. It's not close to a substitute.

Agree

I’ve always wanted to run a thread on this because it’s a big annoyance for me. A lot of GE will never show up on video and a lot of GE is made or lost during finals week only. A show can gain speed or stall over those three days and it will never show up on the DVD, more so if their final run is weaker/ stronger than their semi-final run. Usually, much of the crowd will understand, feel the GE so there is usually a more of consensus amongst those who attend finals than those that try and make the call after the fact.

When the 'would of , should of won' threads show up after the fact, I always like to know if they were there to gage where they are coming from with their opinion.

I'm so ecstatic I get to see this show again in San Antonio this July. It is so sad to me that most people only get to see a show once live each summer, twice if you're lucky. I'm just glad I get another shot to take it all in again and see what new things I notice that changed from now til then. There's something about watching a show live that just draws you in and takes you to a different place that's just magical.

Edited by DrumManTx