Blue Devils vs Spirit

I just had the pleasure of seeing both shows. With Blue Devils I had to go to Corpsreps to tell what they were playing. Then I had to go to the original source material. I was still at a lost. Too much electronics, over amplification, the first half of the show was the horn line marching around in blobs. I have a feeling this is a championship show. And that might not be a good thing.

Now Spirit is a totally different story. Totally entertaining. Music that was music instead of beats and bops. Basically I wish more corps were like Spirit.

I know I may be in the minority (again) I know I'll be called a dinosaur. But that doesn't make me wrong.

• Like 9

....um... Blue Devils are playing "The Rite of Spring"... possibly the most significant piece of music ever composed.

Pay no attention to Blackstar. They're stuck in some fantasy world where drum corps never changes and, for some reason, neither do the tastes of the fans.

• Like 8

Pay no attention to Blackstar. They're stuck in some fantasy world where drum corps never changes and, for some reason, neither do the tastes of the fans.

Well, Rite of Spring came in 1913, at a time well before any of this "old school" drum corps from the 60s, 70, 80s, or 90s (take your pick) people rave about. :tongue:

• Like 2

I like both.

*shrug*

Well, I mean, obviously my team first and foremost, but I get and dig what BD is putting out this year.

"The Rite of Spring"... possibly the most significant piece of music ever composed.

So....this automatically makes it good....in 2013 ?

• Like 4

I just had the pleasure of seeing both shows. With Blue Devils I had to go to Corpsreps to tell what they were playing. Then I had to go to the original source material. I was still at a lost. Too much electronics, over amplification, the first half of the show was the horn line marching around in blobs. I have a feeling this is a championship show. And that might not be a good thing.

Now Spirit is a totally different story. Totally entertaining. Music that was music instead of beats and bops. Basically I wish more corps were like Spirit.

I know I may be in the minority (again) I know I'll be called a dinosaur. But that doesn't make me wrong.

Huh? You couldn't tell BD was playing The Rite of Spring? You must not be very familiar with The Rite of Spring. The music was pretty straight forward

• Like 2